Saving Butch Beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Apr 5, 2017.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Single worst QB performance in Tennessee history I believe.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Over an entire game, but I would put Peterman's Florida debacle at the top.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

First division win in a decade!!!!

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only thing that would keep me from wanting him gone from Knoxville is winning 3 consecutive national titles and tea bagging McElwain and Smart on live TV.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think he threw around 40 passes. Guys were running wide open all over the field.

But I gotta think peterman at the swamp is probably the worst QB performance in the history of football.

Peterman might've had more fumbled handoff exchanges than completions

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Then he leaves best staff in America and now he'll get drafted. Both of those guys will/did make it to the NFL. So did Matt Simms. Three of the worst performing UT QBs were good enough to go pro. Just shows what kind of coaching we've had.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I hate my love for UT so much. We would walk across the street, through traffic to avoid a steak and shrimp dinner just to go to a shop that serves shit sandwiches.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Simms hung around on a practice squad because of his last name (and look at the QBs on the Jets roster at the time), but Crompton and Peterman are indictments to the staffs that coached them.

Hell, Worley would probably have been a decent QB under Chaney and Peterman did have success under Chaney at Pitt for a year.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, Peterman's career makes Butch look pretty bad.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Butch's career makes Butch look pretty bad.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Simms started a preseason game and looked decent. Guy got worse the longer Dooley had him. He couldn't complete a five yard pass when we finally benched him for Worley.

I'm not sure I buy it's all a name thing. That probably helps get the foot in the door, but he's been in the league awhile. Walter Payton's kid didn't get the same treatment.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jarrett Payton also had things outside of football, like music and running a charity. He could have hung around practice squads had he wanted to.

Simms is also with the Jets, an organization that can't find a qb.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think he left when they drafted another QB.

I get that he isn't Tyler Bray, but if he were really as bad as he was in 2011, I can't imagine he makes it past a year. He was every bit as bad as Crompton in 2008.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

[video]https://youtu.be/B3X0bDt2IUI[/video]

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now that's the QB I remember.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

UF had 7 defensive players drafted plus a UDFA.

I don't see them being very good next year.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They definitely haven't recruited up to par to replace what was lost.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Seems like it should be one of the top 5 easiest schools to recruit to in the country. Spurrier, zook, and Meyer certainly never had problems.

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It's harder when FSU and Miami have coaches that can recruit. Also, I'm not sure to what extent they've remedied this in the past couple years, but they were way behind in the facilities arm race. Apparently their dorms were pathetic. That doesn't matter if you've got Meyer, but McElwain isn't on his level.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're building now