School Voucher Study - "Results...the worst ever in field"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Brother, I'd be for single-payor health insurance if all that it covered was abortions, vasectomies and tubal ligations.

I wish that there was an abortion clinic in every Wal-Mart and at every flea market.

I wish the government would give 10 free lotto tickets to anyone who had any of the three procedures above.

2. Tenacious D

Focus on the abortion example all day, if you'd like, but that's not the point I'm making.

You're for choice in all things - except school vouchers.

I don't tout the superiority of private schools merely for the privacy aspect, or even at all - it's that they consistently produce superior educational results than public schools. I think that every kid deserves the best possible education for them, as individuals, and that parents are best equipped and positioned to determine what that is - be it public, private, home, trade, magnet, STEM or any other approved school.

I'm still willing to listen and hear any argument or position, but to this point, I honestly cannot fathom how anyone could be opposed to this. But I'm also willing to be educated.

You won't be paying any extra money, just as I've said, and can be easily found via tens of thousands of resources on the subject. It is cost neutral for the schools. School vouchers simply allow a parent to cash out the same amount of money that the pubic school system has already allocated for the cost of their education, and to apply it to a school of their choice.

It is the exact populations that you mention who are now too often trapped in either less-than-optimum or outright failing schools. The poor do not now have a choice, at all, but the wealthy who can afford private school do. School vouchers will correct that.

And, again, does it help to be reminded that the availability of school vouchers will not in any way preclude a student from remaining in public schools? You don't think that they'll be this mass exodus, do you?

To anyone: Out of 100 kids in public school, how many do you estimate will transfer to a non-public school, within a year of school vouchers being available? 5? 15, maybe?

3. Tenacious D

You want to accuse me of lying, and then to support the allegation for you?

Besides being called an "outright" lie - I've yet to see you, or anyone else, point out any dishonesty or half-truth in it.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Either it isn't a lie, and you can find no fault in the statement. Or it is, and you are just acting indignant.

So which is it?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a false equivalency unless you are also advocating for abortion vouchers. No one is arguing to take away the ability to choose a private school, only that public funds shouldn't be steered away to schools without a duty to the public. The rhetoric paints a voucher as being a family's own tax dollars, but if that were true only parents of school age children would be paying in. That's not the case. The cost of each pupil is collectively met by all of the tax payers, not just the parents.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You still haven't addressed the reality that the study in the first post noted that the vouchers aren't working (Spectacularly) or, at best, providing no discernible results. The idea that the private schools are better, as seems difficult for you to understand, is based upon the fact that they can choose their students, an advantage that evaporates once anyone can get money to attend the school. Hell, here in Nashville, I'd put the public academic schools students on the same level as the private school students. Also, you are a fool if you think this won't cost more, whether it's in more money for the vouchers or the tangible factor of costing the public school system for those attending them.

So, again, why should I foot the bill for something that provides no tangible, positive results, collectively, and worsens the public school system? And, stop with the anti-choice canard. In no way have I advocated limiting any sort of choice for anything or anyone

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So the people sending their kids to private school in Nashville are just stupid and wasting their money? Serious question.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm all for this if it makes public school cut some fat. We spend way more per student than we need to already. Administrative waste and bloat is out of control, and very little of it actually improves education for the students.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There are some advantages, in terms of reputation for colleges and facilities (Especially for athletics), for going to a private school. However, academically, there isn't much difference, in my opinion, and my kid will be going to one of the academic magnets where the kids have an average ACT of 26 and end up at Vandy, Duke, Emory, etc. I'd say, personally, that's better than spending $25,000 a year for high school.

10. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I think in the aggregate there's a huge difference. But for driven kids with engaged parents you can definitely get the same education from a public school, you just might have to be in only honors and AP classes.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It comes down to parents in regards to academics, in my opinion. You get in AP/Honor classes and the parents try just a little to engage their kids, they'll be fine.

Athletics at private schools will always be far better.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got 3 kids, they'll be going to public schools.

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

That's still a long way off for me, but it will depend entirely on where I'm living. Some places you'd almost be silly to do private school and some places you'd be silly not to if you have the means.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the public schools here are horrific. it happens.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's true. I am about to break ground on a house in a great public school district

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Norris schools are both good. I hear Anderson county high school is meh. But then it all depends on what the kid.

17. Calculon

Calculon Member

Anyone arguing against "government schools" can eat a [penis]. It's like comparing UT to Trump University. Unless you do some seriously extreme vetting of where these vouchers end up going, you're ruining lives and lining the pockets of the rich. I am very for quality public education.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Are you saying my degree from The University of Phoenix is no good???

I kid. I kid.

19. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Why should I have to pay for some kid to go to puplic school when I'm paying for my kid to go to private?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Great, now my grandma has to eat a [penis] on top of killing herself.