SCOTUS to Rule on Union: Could be "Radical" Change

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 22, 2014.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Doesn't Federal law allow for a workforce vote, requiring only a strict majority of voting workers in order for a group to unionize? Or am I confused?

Because if so, it seems that management has little say if whether their labor force can unionize.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

To practice law requires bar membership. To have architecture stamp requires AIA cert or PE license. One can call himself a chicken, but that doesn't have anything to do with be regulatorily a fryer.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

association with a union, which is no authority on professional capability or certification shouldn't be a requirement for anything. It doesn't in any provide the consumer with any protections or guarantees of minimal qualifications. Making the unions out to be comparable is ridiculous.

I don't care if the unions exist, but compulsory membership should absolutely be illegal.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I also think unions should not be able to exclude workers already in the industry/working for a contracted employer. I have a friend in the hotel business who moved back to NYC. She makes a third of the pay as her coworkers because she isn't union, and the union won't let her in. She also can't get promoted without being in the union.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Look at the workers they employ. I don't think that having a face and an automatic breathing response is a skill tthat can be leveraged.

6. JayVols

The Tennesse Legislature disagrees. They cut out the paycheck deduction for teachers, voluntary mind you, for all in their union busting efforts.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So TN doesn't allow payroll deduction for union dues, or am I misunderstanding?

8. JayVols

Do your groups give money/work to elect folks that share their views?

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't think that people of Tennessee should lose tax revenue and be placed at some risk, simply because unregulated and unlawful person(s) wish to make moonshine in their back yards. Given that stills must be busted to prevent that, then I would be for that.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No

11. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Sure, to be a lawyer you have to be a member of the bar and pay your fees and cle. But you do not have to be a member of any state or local bar associations.
    Same with the AIA.

12. RevBubbaFlavel

I am not equating them. You misunderstood or do not know the difference - see above

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the bar associations are for networking and any number of purposes, but aren't in any way compulsory. Passing the bar to perform the function is and should probably be compulsory, but it isn't comparable to compulsory union membership.

14. RevBubbaFlavel

The point I am making about memberships in associations is that employers are and have been free to REQUIRE membership as a condition of employment.
    Why should an employer not be able to require membership, likewise, in a union as a condition of employment?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

is it the employer that is really requiring membership in a union?

16. RevBubbaFlavel

Yes - in states that allow for freedom of contract on the issue. It has to be part of any agreement the employer makes with the union.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, it happens.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The employer isn't requiring. They can't require membership in any organizations. They can suggest. They can require professional certs.

You're not seriously comparing a negotiating pact to a professional certification?

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

But it's stupid to require it for people not affiliated with particular employers. It's stupid even within an employer, but should be against the law without.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Only via some shoddy old political shenanigans.