SECT Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by BigOrangeBeech, Mar 9, 2019.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I bet it is 50-50 this year.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We always do in the SECT. That’s not a reason and I’m not conceding, but they just own that thing

3. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

History is your friend

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

to be sure, I am not conceding shit to those checker-stealing Judds.

Indy likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm going to keep saying it. I think we win if Reid Travis doesn't play, and it's looking more and more like he won't.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Kentucky has seemingly won every one since the Reagan administration other than the Georgia freak show in 08 and State in 09

I've yet to see anything the last month that makes me think they can beat 3 NCAAT teams in 3 days to win it.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd rather they show you something this week, anyway.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I would love to be proven wrong the next 4 weekends.

IP and lylsmorr like this.
  9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

They are a tournament team. I'll believe when I see it and as you, would love to be wrong.

10. lol vol

lol vol Member

History certainly favors Kentucky, but this has been a historically abnormal time in UT athletics.

Football: Worst it’s ever been.
    Women’s Hoops: Worst team ever.
    Baseball: Best start in program history.
    Basketball: Best regular season in program history.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

it's funny how the last 3 losses have made the season feel like many Pearl ones.

Tenacious D likes this.
  12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Football and Women's basketball certainly had their worst coaches in program history simultaneously. We've remedied one and the other probably soon. This wasn't the best basketball regular season ever, but probably top 2 or 3.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yep. On the whole, this team has been the best we've seen in at least a couple decades, and I'm not sure it's close. But three February losses plus a couple of narrow escapes make it feel like same ol', same ol'.

And I'm pretty sure our record isn't what it is just because our schedule was weaker. We were absolutely throttling teams like we never have before. It takes a good team to win four conference games by a combined 100 points.

Because I'm curious, I started poking around KenPom's site for our efficiency ratings this year compared to our past seasons. His data goes back to 2002, so I took a look at all of our teams since then that have at least won a game in the NCAA tournament. This is how they stack up.

2005-06: 19.44 (17th nationally, would be 26th this year)
    2006-07: 18.29 (31st nationally, would be 27th this year)
    2007-08: 22.17 (13th nationally, would be 14th this year)
    2009-10: 18.50 (30th nationally, would be 27th this year)
    2013-14: 23.69 (10th nationally, would be 13th this year)
    2017-18: 22.27 (13th nationally, would be 14th this year)
    2018-19: 27.93 (7th nationally, would've been top four in seven of the last ten years)

After looking at that, (1) I forgot how much the advanced stats were in love with that Cuonzo team that putzed around enough to end up in Dayton despite having top ten talent, (2) I also forgot how much the advanced stats weren't especially impressed by the 2008 team that was in the hunt for a #1 seed despite not having a point guard worth a damn, and (3) this team appears to be a pretty significant cut above anything we've seen before.

(Also for my money the '07 and '10 teams are a lot better than the stats showed, because the '07 team had a mid-season losing streak when Lofton was hurt and the '10 team had the whole "we're going to have half the team suspended and then decide to be good" thing)

lol vol and IP like this.
  14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Nice work Tar. I loved a couple Pearl teams, but vandy was the only decent SEC team in '07 ranked at #19 when we played them. This team goes undefeated in conf play that year imo.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That said, this is the most accomplished group in my lifetime. I just still believe they have a disadvantage this time of year when most of the tournament teams find another gear.

17. Ssmiff

Imagine this team with a Lofton at #2 guard.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

wouldn't help if Turner is shooting transition and contested 3's.

A-Smith likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Lofton would be shooting them. Which is aight.

IP likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

so I think you see what I'm getting at