Sen Chuck Schumer to introduce bill to “decriminalize” marijuana

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by VolDad, Apr 19, 2018.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

doolmeonce, gcbvol and The Dooz like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Worth serious conversation.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Waaaaayyyy overdue, but better late than never.

NashVol11 likes this.
  4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Jeff Sessions wept.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Please pass. Please.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Put it to vote, not to committee.

Let's see how it lines up.

Volst53 likes this.
  7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Why not just make it legal?

NashVol11 and Volst53 like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also worth a conversation.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I just don't understand the decriminalization thing. Just make it legal. Its illegal to buy it, sell it, smoke it, but we aren't going to arrest you if you have it? Cut the shit. Make it legal if that's what he wants

NashVol11 and justingroves like this.
  10. fl0at_

Work to vote them out.

Also decriminalization means it wouldn’t be illegal to buy it, sell it or smoke it at the Federal level any more, without flat making it legal.

The legality of it, therefore, would be left to the states.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Baby steps. There is so much inertia in the government it is hard to make a right hand turn.

Poppa T likes this.
  12. fl0at_

Huh? Decriminalization does exactly what he’s saying. It makes it no longer criminal at the Federal level.

This isn’t a bill that would say it’s still illegal but we’re not going to prosecute, it says it is no longer criminal, at the Federal level.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I mean, that's my point, the stupid shit that politicians do, just cut the shit and make it legal. Its silly, you can buy it now, smoke it now, have it on you? But it's still technically illegal. Got it, I think?

14. fl0at_

Wouldn't that be an overreach of Federal government? Should DC tell Tennessee marijuana should be legal?

I don't understand. This "stupid shit" is DC saying the Federal government is going to get out of the legality of marijuana, and instead, every state gets to choose how to deal with it.

How is that stupid?

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Coming soon...

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not disagreeing necessarily, but DC has no problem making something illegal and coercing states to assist the federal government with enforcement.

17. fl0at_

So that means we should stomp our feet and disagree when they do it the right way, just because something else was done wrongly?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

A little off topic, but the places its legal, do they only allow the pot to be grown locally, or can it be imported? How is it regulated? I guess I can look it up later. Thanks

19. fl0at_

For the places it is legal, it is still illegal at the Fed level. So it isn't legal, there. Not truly. They are allowed to grow locally. If you import, that's interstate commerce, and that's Federal, and you'd get hammered.

It's regulated by the state, through tax and licensing.

IP likes this.
  20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't get drugs being illegal at all. I'm not a drug user, but I don't get the crime.

I can understand having harsher punishment for actual crimes committed while someone is on drugs, but not their use being illegal.

It's your body. You should be free to put whatever the hell you want in it. Otherwise you're basically saying the state owns your body, and the use of it.

kidbourbon likes this.