Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Reed Timmer is tweeting that Tuesday could be really dangerous for AR, MS, West TN, and LA. He is bringing Dominator 2 to the area on Tuesday. Pretty good indication of some nasty stuff.

2. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

ya i saw his tweet, didn't know what he thought about Wednesday. i was talking to my neighbor today, he is already a nervous wreck about this spring

3. JayVols

With good reason. The weather has been so screwed up the last few years. Dixie Alley has been more active and deadly than Tornado Alley. We had 2 freaking EF3's in NE TN and SW VA last year. We never get tornados.

4. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

How many of you actually get excited about severe weather. I know it seems weird, but it really gets my adrenaline pumping.

5. JayVols

I find the power of nature fascinating. I survived an EF1 (I know wimpy compared to some like Snakeonia). I was participating in a Civil War reenactment in Aiken, SC. Never before or again have I seen a sky that color. We were stuck outside with nowhere to go. The funnel was rain wrapped, so we never saw it, but we felt it and heard it. It missed us by 500 yards. I have never felt more alive in my life than I did at that moment.

I was supposed be there this weekend for another reenactment. Glad I wasn't. An EF3 went through Aiken County on Friday evening. My buddies were fine and the funnel was nowhere near as close as last time. But apparently lightning can strike the same place twice. They said Friday was intense, but lacked the fear for your life feel from 2002 or there abouts.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

When we had our EF-3 here in Macon County on February 5th 2008, it missed my house by 3/4 of a mile. We (my family) actually seen the tornado twice, when it was to the southwest of us, and again after it had done went by to the northeast. This tornado was on the ground from Bledsoe Creek, just to the southeast of Gallatin, through Castalian Springs, through extreme northwestern Trousdale County, and all the way through Macon County, to just below Tompkinsville, KY. (55 miles) When the tornado was closest to our house, it rattled our neighbors windows and shot gusts of wind down the stove pipe in the basement. It was certainly a night that I will never forget.

Macon Co. remembers '08 deadly tornado - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports |

It also destroyed the church that I am now a member at. I was not at the time.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/11941902/middle-tenn-remembers-deadly-tornadoes-2-years-later

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  7. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i use to be one of the biggest severe(tornado)freaks but after last year I'm not. I'm still amazed at them, but don't care to either be in another one. Most of ya'll know my story, but those who don't after the f5 hit about 25 mins later a f1 hit. i was nervous, but excited during the f5, the f1 that followed i knew was much weaker when it first hit. i admit i had nightmares for months afterwards, and i don't sleep at all if it's storming at night. it's changed the way i do a lot of things. all i know is if another comes this way i'll be moving my butt back to tennessee

8. JayVols

I hope you don't have to go through that again, Snake, but you need to get your ass back to the Promised Land of Tennessee. Get out if that shithole that is Alabama. The only thing is, we are having strong tornadoes here as well- even in NE TN mountains. Seems like tornado alley has shifted east in the last few years. This year isn't starting off any better. Keep an eye on Tuesday guys. The major storm chasers seem to think it could be really dangerous. Hope they're wrong.

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

saw reed's tweet that it looks like it's slowing down for tuesday which is a good thing

10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Great, another [uck fay]ing spring. Glad we have a storm shelter we can use close by this year.

11. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The Palm Sunday Tornado in (I believe 94) that hit Goshen United Methodist Church and killed 21 people, missed my house by about 1 mile. That was a sad day. We were at another church and came afterwards. I went up there and asked what was needed and they asked me to get my chainsaw and come back. It was also the maddest I believe I ever been also. I had two players at the time that had gotten there before me, one black, one white. These two kids actually crawled under the structure and helped pulled bodies out. Then after they had done that, some moron asked Greg, the black kid,"Whats a N doing out here?" If I could have found him, I believe I would have beat him to death. No would would tell me who it was so I don't know till this day.

The April 27th tornados, we watched come across from the front porch and it missed the house by about 2 miles, scariest thing I've ever seen. Luckily there was no loss of life in my area. Just massive structure loss.

12. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

last night seemed to have some strong tornadoes. i was watching Reed and some other chasers twitter accounts and even the straight lined winds were around 80-90 mph. Reed already tweeted this morning that southern KY and the Nashville area is already primed for strong tornadoes right now.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Today could be a bad day across Tennessee and Kentucky. As Snake said, Reed tweeted about our chances here in Middle Tennessee being prime for severe weather. 10 people dead so far from one tornado in Illinois. Several tornadoes have touched down in Kentucky today.

14. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

saw someone said that there is significant damage in Hardin county in KY

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

On Channel 5 in Nashville, they are saying all the ingredients are in place for a severe weather outbreak. Wind shear, upper level wind speeds, instability, low pressure system, warm temperatures. Stay tuned....

16. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i've already told people at work that if it gets bad here i'm taking off and going home

17. JayVols

Stay safe guys. This looks to have the possibility to be a very dangerous situation. Reed Timmer tweeted that there is a moderate risk of strong tornadoes in TN today. The risk map he posted from NOAA shows the highest rish areas being mid-central TN extending into Southern KY all the way east to most of NE TN including Knoxville (including my area being just inside the highest risk bubble). Sounds like a 'fun' day is in store for us in that highest risk bubble.

18. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

they've extended the risk as far south as north alabama.

19. JayVols

I was just amending Snake.

Snake, the far northern portions of Alabama is in the high risk area. If I am reading it correctly, you are in a slightly lower risk area. Nevertheless, keep an eye on it. I know you will. Again stay safe 8th. I will try to post the map:

I can't get to post on mobile for some reason. Check out Reed Timmer's Twitter and look for the tweet about TN and tornadoes. He has the map there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  20. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

I couldn't get your thumbnail to work. I'm actually about 10 miles from the state line. Just north west of huntsville, in Harvest, AL.