Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

No sarcasm

It was a complement. You know your stuff as well

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Always wanted to try that.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

WM - I either completely forgot or didn't remember that you are in Michigan. Does it suck where you are?

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Well, it is Michigan.

5. WM

WM Active Member

Deep sea fishing or saltwater fishing altogether was always my favorite. I moved up here late fall last year and ended up befriending someone who was quite passionate about it. He had a shanty painted in green and yellow with the John Deer logo on the side, pretty cheesy but i had a blast.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Better for ice fishing, good bourbon or good beer?

7. WM

WM Active Member

Yes, the negatives far outweigh the positives. Im looking forward to getting back down south next year.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ice fishing is the shit. Used to do it in my uncle's ice shanty in Vermont, and do it out in the open in Alaska. We'd actually drive the truck onto the lake to the chosen fishing spot, the ice was so thick and strong.

Fish were still biting, though.

9. TennTradition

I'm a fan of the Grand Traverse Bay area. It is beautiful up there...but it's 2 hours away, so I can't get up there as much as I would like to. I just can't find much to do here. I'm sure it's fine if you're into the things that are available here...but I'm not really much of a hunter and I only like to fish if I have someone to fish with...which I don't here...because I can't find anyone that wants to leave their house except to go to work or church.

10. WM

WM Active Member

Bourbon all the way. Seems to be harder to pace yourself with bourbon though. Beer and fishing go together more in the end.

11. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Funny how that'll change one's perspective.

12. WM

WM Active Member

Was amazed at all the bluegill that was biting.

13. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

The way the models are playing out, a ridge will develop in the west, forcing a dip in the jet stream. You are seeing a little bit of that now. Whats bad is, east of that ridge, cold air will rush down out of Canada, down into the midsouth. This will increase the probablity of colder than normal temps and higher probability of frozen precipitation. The second is, depending on how far west the ridge builds, Texas has the chance of remaining dry.

The Artic and North Atlantic Oscillations are both in the negative phase, which means that colder air will dive south into the midwest and South as well as the north east, coupled with higher than normal precipitation

These are the same conditions that occured last winter

14. TennTradition

I'm about an hour north of there. If I lived down that way, I know that I would like it more. Ann Arbor is a like a freaking oasis. I will like it more if I find a group of friends - that's definitely part of the problem. So far, in 6 months, I haven't found anyone willing to do something outside of work that I would actually care to hang out with. We'll see if it changes. It's a little weird because in all of my previous stops, it didn't take more than 2 weeks. It may just be a cultural mismatch.

The funny thing is as much as I [itch bay] about it, I like it about 3 times more than my wife (or dislike it 3 times less, depending on ones perspective).

15. WM

WM Active Member

Did i mention i hate layering? I'm a sandals kind of guy.
    Agree with davis on the UP, it's good country up there. Would love to have a weekend cabin up there if i was planning on staying here after the kids grew up.
    This is race week here, the track is about 30 miles from me, pretty big deal around here.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well shit.

17. TennTradition

Oh well, I just need to stop [itch bay]ing about it. It is what it is. I have a job and I really like it...it just happens to be in a place that encourages me to work very long hours...

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Anyone know where Hubbard Lake is? It's near Alpena. My wife's family has a cabin up there.

I've been to Mackinac Island. It was a pretty cool place.

19. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Big woman will solve those problems

JMO

20. TennTradition

That's about 2.5 hours north of me.