Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Rained like heck here in Savannah for a good bit today.

2. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Just got pushed out of the woods by the weather. I was watching it and was afraid of this with the atmosphere being unstable and the gusty southerly winds. We will see these supercells develop ahead of this cold front and form into a squall line as it heads east into the late evening. Keep an eye on the weather because it may take a turn for the worse once these supercells approach the area. Expect high winds, large hail, heavy rain and isolated Tornadoes.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

what do you expect for the huntsville area?

4. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

And now it's raining again. I like thunderstorms

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's about to come a flood here at the house.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Steady rain for last 3 hours. Annoyed that I put an inch of water on the lawn yesterday before I checked the forecast.

Also wish I had overseeded Friday instead of waiting til this Friday. Gonna get mushrooms now.

7. WM

WM Active Member

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for Storm Chasers so i will just post on here. Anyone see the premiere tonight? Felt kind of cheapened and rushed to cover the biggest tornadic outbreak in our lifetime in a hour show, was expecting a part two next week i suppose.

8. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

ya i watched it, it was disappointing that they started the season with that day

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So it begins.

10. fl0at_

Sucks. Hope you got the gas for the generator.

11. fl0at_

Frost advisory this evening for my area. Hide ya flowers, hide ya tomatoes.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, hey Count! How did those "ridiculous" and overblown hurricane predictions turn out for this year?

I believe you owe me e-cred.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think I made a post on TOOS about those predictions. I haven't followed up to see how they turned out.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Predicted: 12-18 named storms, 6-10 hurricanes, 3-6 major hurricanes.

Actual: 18 named storms, 6 hurricanes, 3 major.

The predictions were spot on.

15. fl0at_

Rain has been relentless the past two or so days. I could have stocked Rainbow in my front lawn until about 5pm yesterday.

16. WM

WM Active Member

Got about an inch of snow last night after two days of heavy rain.

17. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

a week or two ago we had snow, the ground was covered at my house, but you drive 5 miles south, and there was nothing on the ground. suppose to snow again tomorrow

18. WM

WM Active Member

Has been a very mild winter so far in a large portion of the country. Record highs all over the West Coast, Plains and Upper Great Lakes area. Was looking forward to ice fishing this winter, maybe we will have a rebound in mid to late January.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Finally getting a little snow here. It better snow hard over the next 3 months, because the mountains are pretty bare and that is where everyone gets their water out here.

Remember that cooling trend GSvol and others were spazzing about two years ago? As I said then, we were at the tail end of the low portion of a solar cycle. Well, now we are nearing the peak of greater activity. I'm not saying global warming isn't playing a role, I am just saying GSvol doesn't know what he is talking about. He is too quick to point to any weather event as being proof against climate change, with no real knowledge of any of the pertinent factors at play.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Did the weather man cut ties with the 8th?