Simmons and ESPN part ways

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, May 8, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's a shit site anyway. I'm sure it will go away now that simmons isn't there to prop up his vanity project.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

give me a break. how many companies keep guys that lose millions a year in revenue?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have no doubt he's also a huge ******* to work with. hell the espn book essentially said as much

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briango...vorce-what-is-the-future-for-grantland-com/2/

Nonetheless, the business considerations were the driving force. Personalities and bad behavior seem to matter little in entertainment and media if millions and billions can be gained. As the Atlantic column noted, its not clear the value-added from Grantland in terms of additional viewership on ESPN’s site.

Looking at Alexa and FreeWebsiteReport, Grantland is about the 1500th most popular website in the world and around 400th in the U.S. with daily views in the 700,000+ range which translates into an annual value of about $1.7 million If those values are anywhere near accurate Grantland’ is a small, niche player.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Watch how widely read he is without the ESPN/ABC machine behind him. If ESPN pushes Wright Thompson half as hard as they did the former Sports Guy, nobody will remember Simmons in six months.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  6. hatvol96

Bill Simmons is Dennis Miller with a basketball/pro wrestling fetish. Nothing more, nothing less.

7. hatvol96

Jalen Rose will take this news as proof there is a just God.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

“Grantland is an artistic success, but it is not close to making money,” said the ESPN insider.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Dennis Miller has a decent amount of smarts.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I read his "Now I Can Die in Peace" book back before he was "popular" as kid says. And I thought it was a shitty read. He's a blowhard that tries to ingratiate himself into whatever group he's talking to at that time. Although he's mostly trying to just sell himself. And ESPN showed today he wasn't selling good enough.

11. hatvol96

I would also accept the premise that Bill Simmons is the Clam Chowder version of Clay Travis.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If he was making $5 million a year than he needs to thank his lucky stars, God, Allah or the Easter bunny. No way he's worth remotely close to that.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Good God, what kind of world are we in where reporters and commentators are asking for 6 mill a year? That is insane. What reporter or commentator brings in 6+ mill in revenue? I might be out of touch, but that seems excessive to sit and talk about sports.

14. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I like Bill, I'll miss GrantLand if it goes because there is some quality stuff on the site, I particulalry like Zach Lowe. I enjoy Jalen and Jacoby too. He's not the greatest writer but it's entertaning to me. I'm not looking for anything mind-blowing when I read his articles. His Mailbag articles and NBA Trade Value articles are solid. I'm sure he will land somewhere, although not having ESPN/ABC backing him will make it harder to find him.

15. GahLee

And here we are doing it for free.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

You guys aren't being paid?

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

By the way, do you think that you could give me that $20,000 in cash? My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax...

18. GahLee

Tenny lets us have our way with NYY when he isn't hog tied in his basement but that's hardly a payment, more like a chore.

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

What's so great about him? Before popular or after popular, I could not manufacture a **** to give.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barnwell and Hinton were the reasons I paid attention to Grantland. I've never really liked or disliked Simmons. He's never really written or said anything I've paid much attention to.