Simmons and ESPN part ways

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, May 8, 2015.

1. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't. I had to listen to Zach Lowe explain to him last summer how offer sheets work while he kept asking ridiculously dumb questions.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

"I think it’s pathetic. Roger Goodell has handled so many things so poorly that it’s reached a point now where you have something like this, where it’s taken four months to release the report, and he knew everything that was in it. He knows the results before the report is released to the public, and yet doesn’t have the testicular fortitude to do anything about it until he gauges the public reaction."

That's what got him fired, and the reason I can stand him is he's one of the few that will say these types of things, when everyone knows it's true.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

That's not what got him fired

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Supposedly, the "testicular fortitude" line was it

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The ESPN book from a couple of years back had multiple quotes talking about how big of a pain in the ass he was and how he constantly was complaining he was underpaid. This might have been the final straw, but this was a long time coming.

6. RockyHill

If he hadn't said it, he'd still be with them today, so yeah that was the reason.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Plagiarizing Mick Foley should get you terminated.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Whether or not that is what got him fired, or whether or not he stole it from Dude Love (he did), it's 100% true and I wish there were more people who were willing to hold that **********s feet to the fire.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Your Simmons hate **** has always been hard. I can respect that more than your normal knee jerk off reaction to most things.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

He'd still be around if he was a hot blonde [itch bay] with a nice rack. Just sayin.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Truth. And his voice wouldn't be so [itch bay]y then either.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah I'm sure they couldn't wait to pay him $6 mil a year to generate $2 mil in revenues

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Thanks!

14. RockyHill

Stop saying this. I know his salary didn't match the revenue he pulled. They're ESPN for crying out loud, the margins aren't tight.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They are a public company. They aren't a charity. They had a down two quarters. I'm sure him being an unsufferable ass didn't help, but at some point he's a net negative for the company no matter how popular his is.

16. RockyHill

If he doesn't say what he did on Patrick's show ESPN was going to give him a raise. You can have your narrative, but it's wrong.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's not just my narrative. The articles on the major websites have overwelmingly focused on how unprofitable grantland and Simmons other ventures were. Cowherd has said similar things and I don't see him out on the street.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  18. RockyHill

Does it make it easier for them to fire him? You bet. Is that WHY he was fired? For the hundredth time, no.

19. RockyHill

And please link all these articles focusing on how unprofitable his ventures were, I can't find them.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

How about the two I posted in this thread