Site Fee

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 22, 2015.

?

What monthly amount would you pay to access the 8th?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2015.
  1. $0 Keep it Free - Or I'd Be Gone

50.0%
  2. $1

4.2%
  3. $2

4.2%
  4. $3

4.2%
  5. $4

8.3%
  6. $5

12.5%
  7. $6-$10

8.3%
  8. $11 - $15

4.2%
  9. $15+

4.2%
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Given our scrapes with Google, and our content being flagged, the suggestions to replace Google Ads by implementing a small monthly fee, have renewed.

First, you should know that this site is financed entirely by the Admins and Super Mods - and will continue to be, for as long as the interwebz exists (or, until IP kills us all, in our sleep). Secondly, while this site was never intended to be a money-making enterprise, the ads are nice, insofar as they do mitigate some portion of the costs involved in running it. Finally, and as most of you are well aware, we have neither the intention nor desire to run this site the way others are operated (quite successfully, and kudos to them), meaning, we are never motivated to appeal to the masses or lowest common denominator, or to sacrifice the quality of our discussions, simply to generate clicks and page views.

Do we want to grow? Yes.
    Do we want new members? Yes.
    Do we welcome them? Yes.
    Do we appreciate when you guys recommend or refer someone here? Absolutely, we do.
    Is growth the main goal for the site? No.
    Will it ever be? Not at the expense of our enjoyment of it.

Personally, I prefer the subscription model, and here is why:

1. On one hand, I don't personally run into any problems with the Google license requirements, but on the other, I understand that some do find them to be needlessly restrictive.

2. I don't like having to worry about violating the policies, to be honest, but those are the rules we agreed to follow, and so we do adhere to them, or try greatly, even when we fail them.

3. I don't mind that people can come here and read stuff for free, but on the other hand, I don't care for lurkers, at all. If you want to participate here, then participate. If you just want to come here and read stuff, then you don't understand the myriad of infinitely better and other options that the interwebz affords you. But lurkers do come at a cost, as they take up just as much bandwidth as our members do, and we have to account (and pay) for each person's access, whether they contribute, or not.

4. Subscriptions are almost always a catch-all for encouraging trolls and ne'er-do-wells to frequent other sites. In the vast majority of cases, people aren't going to pay anything, not even $1/yr, to be pricks. So, the subscription works in that direction, too.

But, I am completely undecided on the matter, and ultimately, will trust the Admins and Mods to decide what we should do, if anything, insofar as a subscription.

But your important in this, too, and your opinions matter. So, I simply thought that this might be a good way to explain what we are currently debating, the reasons for it, and to solicit your input on anything we might do. So, fire away.

And because any decision to go to a subscription-based model will inevitably move to the questions of "How much?" or "How often?" - I've attached a poll, so as to help you weigh in on any potential costs, too. Please vote on what you think would be acceptable, as knowing this would greatly help us in this discussion.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Warnings? Post'em here. Myself and the other Admins / Mods will read each one, and someone from that group will answer it.

Thanks,
    TD

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

you're*

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd be willing to pay a fee for more freedom, though I do fear losing people because of one.

Also, I haven't murdered anyone in months and I wish you could just let that go.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd have no problem paying, but echo IP's concerns that you may lose some current members if you transition towards a pay site.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, we could always try and create a "pay it forward" culture. Assuming the monthly rate is somewhere on the poll, I'd be willing to pay double with the idea that I am paying for someone else to be here a month. If that makes sense.

6. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Would a fee bring us a recruiting guru? Maybe one that doubles as an appliance salesman by day and photo shopper and dad beater by night?

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Not sure exactly what level of dollars but I would entertain a dollar value once it came out. In other words, I'm somewhere between free and $10.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Would it be possible to setup a donation fund or something like that to cover the costs instead of making it a pay site? I'm fine either way but knowing how great everyone on here is about donating for various causes it made me wonder. That would allow people to pay if they wanted to, stay if they didn't, and growth in general. Just a thought....

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

NYY wants to know if BJs will be accepted in lieu of cash payments.

10. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Redeemable everytime he logs in.

11. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

I know other sites that I am on allow you to pay a yearly fee to become a benefactor which gives you special privileges/ and or special access to certain spots of the forum.

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I picked a dollar when I meant 5, but honestly, I pay for so much stupid shit that I would be willing to go as high as 5.50

Edit: I have no idea how I picked a dollar, and I don't really care how much it is as long as we can start posting nudes.

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

**** yea

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

With this bunch, be careful what you ask for.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

8th Maxim coffee mugs!!

16. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Shot glasses with our screen names on them

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Exactly. Never forget that NYY and I are in the neighborhood. I'd be wary of Tenny and Norris as well.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Tenny's super-duper texting club isn't a joke. And it's disgusting; which is saying a lot, coming from me.

I didn't even ask to be on it.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You really do believe in that liberal crap. I mean stuff.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Does the fee come with this texting club?