Site Fee

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 22, 2015.

?

What monthly amount would you pay to access the 8th?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2015.
  1. $0 Keep it Free - Or I'd Be Gone

50.0%
  2. $1

4.2%
  3. $2

4.2%
  4. $3

4.2%
  5. $4

8.3%
  6. $5

12.5%
  7. $6-$10

8.3%
  8. $11 - $15

4.2%
  9. $15+

4.2%
  1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I've got $2, a raincoat and a pack of chewing gum and I'll give that to you!

2. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I did not know that. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't like a reoccurring monthly fee but wouldn't mind paying from time to time. I'd prefer an "ok, it's that time of year for donations" rather than a 247 or VQ model that ask for a CC number.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The cash and gum will be accepted, but you can keep the condom. You can't be too safe big guy

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think forcing people to pay would drive a lot of people away. If there is a small group of people paying some money to keep the site running, why not just make that group bigger? It seems like there are people (including myself) who would be willing to pitch in a little money to help make it less expensive on the group currently paying.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps even have some sort of incentive to increase donations, like a restricted forum or something else board related.

Ultimately, the gap between ad revenue and board costs shouldn't be shouldered by a few, though they may be generous and willing. I spend a lot of time on the site and don't like the idea of someone else footing the bill.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I could do upwards of 15/month if we get Sab on board as a credentialed beat(off) reporter.

7. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

i have no idea how any of this works. i started on here by invitation from a friend and lurked for over a year. (you see, i"m really terribly shy.) while i've become much more comfortable posting, i still enjoy reading the most. two eyes, one mouth sort of thing. or is it two eyes ten fingers . . .

at any rate, the ads don't bother me. however, if they somehow restrict our free speech, the hair on the back of my neck stands up.
    never even thought about the cost of all of this. if there is one, i feel compelled to contribute. i prefer a voluntary contribution period to a mandatory fixed pricing scheme.

most importantly, in the words of the poet/philosopher hubert horatio humphrey: "i'm just pleased as punch to be here."

8. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

p.s. just what is a sticky anyway?

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

What ever you do, DO NOT take NYY's definition!

10. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

yes.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

If you don't use View New Posts and just browse each forum, the most recently replied threads are shown at the top of the page. A sticky thread is affixed* to the top of the page regardless of when it was last replied to.

Typically it will be some kind of an announcement or explanation of rules or something of that nature. Or it could be a 2014 NFL mock draft. You never know.

*with dried semen

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Yes, the solution is obvious. IP is willing to pay $15, which should take care of him and at 4 more free riders at $5 each. The solution is to charge a select 20% a bunch so that the bottom 80% can exercise their rights to freedom of internetivity.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He should pay his fair share IMO

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I interpret it this way: 19 votes, 8 for no fee, 11 for a fee ranging from $! to $15. so far the majority is for a fee. The ones saying they might leave is a significant percentage, so again I tend to favor donations.

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

We can mimick Obamacare. A few pay for rest of the masses who like free shit.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The American way.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I suggested something like that on the first page. I am totally cool with it.

18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Ok, someone set up a Paypal account and get the ball rolling.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

What's Paypal?

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Al Gore invented it.