Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I would prefer promising players stay on the us roster

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

what i mean is, he's not going anywhere

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I was about to say the same thing.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

First time I've looked at MLS in awhile. Why is there such an incredibly painful disparity in strategy between Atlanta United and DC United? I mean, DC's alignment and line movements are, uh, that of a poor high school team. They could lose by 5.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

In the aftermath of our non-WC qualifying debacle, it was noted by a number of players and commentators that American coaches were particularly bad and, worse, incredibly arrogant. No doubt it helps that Atlanta is coached by a veteran of Argentinian soccer and has a number of like minded players.

It reminds me of my son's youth club team when they managed to get a Level 1 coach from Denmark for one season at the U13 level. After about 3 games, the coach from Denmark asked the regular coach, who kept throwing in his two cents, if he wanted the players to get better and, if so, to sit down and shut the [uck fay] up, in so many words.

IP and lylsmorr like this.
  6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Almiron is my favorite player to watch. He’s a great combo of hustle and skill

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

11 behind the ball and try to counter is the American way

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

My main thing was that they were running an offside trap, but doing so kinda rigidly. As in, it was actually creating good offensive opportunities because they were predictably up all the time.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think it’s very fair to ask now if Mou has lost his touch

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Alexis Sanchez wanted to leave Arsenal because he was tired of going out in the round of 16.

So he went to Man U, and goes out in the round of 16.

He literally left to play the piano.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I have no idea why he parks the bus with Lukaku, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Alexis, etc

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don’t know why he parks the bus at all, regardless of his lineup. Nobody worth their lot in Europe still plays like that.

13. Ha. Apparently you forgot about Big Sam up at Everton. While I was in England a couple months ago, he set up for back to back road games against West Brom and Bournemouth like we were going to Camp Nou.

Oh wait, you said nobody worth their lot. Never mind.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ve not watched much (or any, in some cases) of German, French, Italian, or Spanish football, but the strategy for the mid to lower table teams trying to stave off relegation is pretty much the same - lay back and try to hit on the counter. Just whatever you do, don’t concede.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Big night for MLS last night. NY Red Bulls and Toronto take down Mexican teams in the Champions League quarters. Toronto took down the current champion, too, in Mexico. Seattle tries to go 3 for 3 for MLS tonight against Guadalajara. MLS usually does awful in this competition and rarely takes down Mexican teams.

IP likes this.
  16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Chelsea waving the white flag - AKA PSG's emblem AKA the French national flag

17. JohnnyQuickkick

You gotta be shitting me.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ll admit that was bullshit. And that’s not really our thing that we do.

But Welbeck scoring made me happy.

Fortunately it didn’t really matter.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

It mattered a lot. Changed the game.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

“A lot” is, I think, a bit of exaggeration.

We were in control before your goal and immediately took control back after your goal. And the two goals after, especially Xhaka, were soft.

That said, this was lost last week. I never could have predicted 5-1 aggregate. We were ripe for the taking.