Sounds Like Barnes Hiring is Imminent

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Plenty of college stars, though, have carried their teams to success and won nothing in the NBA. Carmelo Anthony, Emeka Okafor, Juan Dixon, the Florida kids, Tyler Hansbrough, etc.

2. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

This is how I feel about it. And I will say that on paper this is arguably one of the best hires Tennessee has made in basketball over my lifetime of 40 years.

If it happens it is very far from a bad hire, but it also seems reactive to me - sort of how Dooley was a reactive hire in that he was seen as the "anti-Kiffin": a southern boy with SEC roots who talked about "britches" and was seen as being a strong administrator. . . Barnes is clean and stable and I think the AD prizes such attributes as this particular time, but I do not see him adding a lot of energy to the program.

3. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

He will recruit at a high level and rebuild this roster. This will happen pretty damn quick in my opinion.
    I can live with this hire.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Not that it's the sign of a great hire or anything, but I don't particularly care what his buyout is. Weird feeling.

5. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

6 years, 2.25mil per. Buyout is 1mil on both sides for every year left on the contract.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

So he plans to retire a Vol.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Perhaps pull a player or 2 that he was recruiting at Texas?!?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

At least I wont feel like I'm wasting my time watching UT bball again next.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"Go real Orange"

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It could have been a lot worse

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't think people fully appreciate the job right now. Which guy who is a slam dunk to get a major gig is going to choose one in such disarray? Gregg Marshall is thanking his lucky stars he didn't get the job working for the women's AD hatchet man. Shaka Smart is laughing at the thought of having his budget approved by a guy eating buggers. Hell, Cuonzo traded us for Cal. It's easy to evaluate the UT job on what it should be instead of what it is at the moment.

The more I live with it the more I like it. I don't care if he's old, and I don't know why Texas didn't work better than it did. The Barnes teams I remember are tough and gritty, and they make the tourney every year. I think he will have us as good as anybody not Kentucky in short order. I'm happy with that.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Tubby could have bought another year if he would have dumped his staff.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  13. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Outside of pulling one of his TX recruits, I guess you have to put a lot of hope that maybe Barbes can hit ATL / Memphis / etc and pull a Josh Richardson or Cameron Payne player ... Someone who is likely bound for a mid major, but ends up a much better prospect.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm glad Hart called each of them to find out for sure.

15. Volsfan31

Volsfan31 Member

Chris Ogden @CoachOG ยท 35m 35 minutes ago
    Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top, Tennessee, Rocky Top, Tennessee! #ilookbetterinbrightorange #ernie&bernie #SEC

It looks like Ogden is coming with Barnes. He was a captain on Barnes' Final Four team.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Neither Hurley was ever coming here. I'm quite confident of that after conversations I had over the weekend.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If he had to call most of those guys to find that out, he's detached from reality. Hell, what has changed in one year that would make Mack or Miller reconsider?

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I watched zero minutes of Donnieball. I will tune in next year, though it'll likely be on dvr. This is improvement.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The more I think and hear, the more I like it.