States refusing Syrian refugees? Pffffft.....

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Savage Orange, Nov 16, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I will read the article, but this is true. They are not like Al Qaeda, hiding in caves. They have a front and an "army". Very different group than in the past, and one that we are 100% better able to handle, and with ease. Militarily.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I agree with this. They're strategic idiots, so won't last long. There's a reason the ME has been riddled with terrorists for thousands of years and the methodology has lasted. Guys fighting with slingshots because it's basically 1894 in their world just aren't going to last long playing real war.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Are you kidding me? I asked exactly what I asked. I'll be quite sure to let you know what I'm actually saying, because I am transparent and ham handed. And quite condescending. Because of these things that you appear to realize, you should also realize that what I asked is what I asked.

And you did mention an authoritarian ruler. You said this, exactly:

Yes. They delivered self rule. And it went poorly. That isn't the same argument. Where the French messed up was not in establishing a fake country with various ethnic groups, as you stated.

Are you now changing the argument? (And yes, that's a question, that means... are you now changing the argument?)

4. fl0at_

It's a valid point. There should have been more coverage, and attempts at solidarity. But I'm not going to say that the reason there isn't is because nobody cares about Kenya. They aren't a major ally.

We could still do better, but that's not us peons.

5. fl0at_

We would be burning news coverage 24/7 and lighting up a new country daily if we covered every terrorist attack in every country around the globe. And I think people would become rather apathetic.

If you really want to see a lot of this stop, sometimes you have to focus and make "more important" the actions against countries that do have the ability to do something about it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Re: the Ottoman Empire,

It wasn't just a "steel fist" that was employed. Those tribes were fairly insular. There was no internet and there was no radical Islam speaking out against "the man" and rallying people together. They were in a caliphate. You know... like ISIS is trying to make. I get what you're saying and think it has some merit worth considering, but the Ottoman Empire's grip followed the advice of 38 Special's smash hit.

7. fl0at_

It is been the same in a lot of these countries, even in the modern era. It isn't a coincidence that so many of the "worst" rulers come from these countries. You pretty much have to be keep control over these areas. The second a weak leader pops up, you see tribal lines re-formed, centuries old fights starting back up, and more sect on other sect violence.

I'm not saying we end all outward terrorist action. But we can limit the areas they can play, and recruit in.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The successful empires in that part of the world took groups that couldn't just relax and be ruled, and scattered them all over the kingdom. Assyria did it. Egypt did it. Babylon did it, Rome did it, Ottoman Empire did it. That was the historical model (well, that and genocide) and it doesn't apply anymore.

9. fl0at_

The genocide is trying to make a come back. With the number of refugees seeking asylum, one could maybe argue that the scattering is making an attempt as well.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't really disagree with your intended point, but it's not a neat and tidy example unless you come at it from the position that this was "our" land before "we" got here. Otherwise, a European amalgam of cultures entered a land eventually forcing its natives to conform or be resettled or both depending on what time period you are talking about.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

States can't control this once congress legally lets someone enter the country.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Too bad they didn't go with "Back where you belong".....

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Again, human condition.

We are going to care more for people that have similar values and a shared history. If you have the option of donating a kidney to save the life of a brilliant medical student that is a 7th generation American or an immigrant from the middle east in jail for vehicular manslaughter, which do you choose? By choosing, are you valuing one life over another? We do this every day. It's called life. Do you donate your entire paycheck to feed those starving kids from Africa that we see on the TV commercials? Or even to those poor kittens Sarah Mcglothin tells us belong in the arms of the angels? I bet you choose to value your family much more than you do these suffering souls, don't you, you insensitive ass?

You are crossing into utopia shit here.

14. MWR

MWR Contributor

How can there be shit in utopia?

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

exactly. That tired, poor, huddled masses stuff was back when we needed labor. Lock that freaking door now.

16. JayVols

In utopia, people shit sunshine and rainbows.

17. JayVols

Our homeless vets would be a great place to start.

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Even in Utopia there's myopia....

19. MWR

MWR Contributor

Hey, you can't spell Utopia without a "U" and a "T".

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"Lyle's World"