Tennessee can compete for the division THIS year.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 10, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Chaney will throw wheel routes, flats and sit-down routes at them all day to prevent double teaming anyone. I'll say it again. Florida's only shot to stop the passing attack is to pressure Bray. If you give him time to throw and Hunter and Rogers time to create, it will be a long day for Florida.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

You're saying he hasn't been matched up with anyone. UF DBs are not world beaters, no matter what their team is ranked.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're far from scrubs, but they aren't exactly proven.

You're downplaying an Olympic level athlete (Hunter) to build up a bunch of freshmen.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And it doesn't really take but 3 or 4 seconds for Rogers or Hunter to separate.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Notre Dame started the season ranked. People swore UGA was good. We're not saying they're scrubs, they are just the weakest link on that team. I feel confident though that Muschamp will throw some zone packages against Hunter and Rogers that will limit them from what we've seen. They'll still get their catches, but I can't fathom both going for 100 again Saturday. Rivera and Zach are really going to have to step up to spread out the secondary. I also think UFs LBs are fast enough to cover some serious space in zone packages. It's going to take a lot more than just DaRick and Hunter if you ask me.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I never downplayed hunter. i stated that his role this year is completely different than what it was last year. that is all. go back and read it. I said he went from our 3rd receiver to our first, so therefore he will receive a lot more attention from DBs. if anything, that is complimenting him.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

okay then. according to you guys, this game should be no problem because their corners will not be able to handle our receivers. I just think you guys are vastly underestimating their secondary. I'm not claiming them to be world beaters by any means, but i don't think they are as bad as you make them out to be. we will see Saturday i suppose. i hope you guys are right, but i am not nearly as confident.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hunter played outside a lot. He drew coverage from the number 1 or 2 CB when he was on the field. He wasn't in the slot being covered by a nickel back or linebacker when he was in the game.

Hell, the first time he was on the field he made circus catch over Cliff Harris (a future NFL player)

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The OL still has to block a very athletic front 7 so Bray can throw.

Just because UF's DBs don't match up very well with Tennessee's WRs doesn't mean we're saying it will be an easy win.

To be honest, the only defense that makes me say "Oh shit" is LSU and Alabama. No other team really matches up with Hunter and Rogers.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm not saying that at all. A whole lot could go wrong if Tennessee doesn't win the line of scrimmage and keeps them honest by running the ball. But on paper you can see some of the advantages for us, sure.

11. chavisut

I wonder how many 3 WR routes we're going to see Saturday with max protection. I know UF hasn't put a lot of pressure on so far, but I have a feeling they are really going to bring some heat on Bray.

12. chavisut

We're talking about two players, not the whole damn team.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's where running the ball is important.

It's a lot easier to play action max protect then just send 3 guys out.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of screens and draws early on.

14. chavisut

Devrin Young comin

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't like the draw play with Poole. He's best with a full head of steam.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree but Lane has looked good running it (once or twice)

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

We've talked about this and I couldn't agree more. Once Poole gets going, he's tough to stop, but it just seems harder and harder to get him going.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wheel routes out of the backfield are a Chaney special

19. chavisut

White Rogers will need to step up this game. Waiting for the frosh to get involved too.

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

again, I think this is where we need Rivera. To stay in and block when need be, but if he can get out in space about 5-7 yds pass the line of scrimmage I think he can wreak havoc. I really think Muschamp will be setting up plays where even the LBs are trying to limit what Hunter and D Rogers do. Maybe even get something out of Downs.