Tennessee can compete for the division THIS year.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 10, 2011.

1. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Is Manning not the standard by which all UT QB's are judged?

Is South Carolina now part of Tennessee?

2. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Kid has already broken a couple of Peyton's Tennessee records.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

started, my bad. jeez, i am going to start being 100% specific with everything i say so you guys don't pick apart little mistakes.

My point is that some people are actually considering him in the same class as Manning, but who has Bray beaten?

4. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

A qb can't beat another team by himself. You have to go by his record and records he breaks.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess it won't hurt him if he loses to this weekend.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Only if we make the Citrus Bowl.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The best defensive scheming done against Bray was done by Vanderbilt of all teams. They played a lot of zone, keep it in front of you football. It was hard for Bray to throw over the top and we wasn't quite mature enough to find the soft spots of the field.

I think Bray would take advantage of that now by dumping off to Rivera and Poole. If I were Florida I would rush the ends every play and force Tyler to get rid of the ball early. You let him hang in the pocket and you're done for.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

South Carolina

9. kidbourbon

A wait-and-see approach will get you nowhere in gambling.

10. kidbourbon

Excellent

11. kidbourbon

Hunter played all year last year. This isn't his first test.

12. kidbourbon

Agreed

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think what screws us up for the east is our west schedule.

14. kidbourbon

I agree that it certainly adds to the degree-of-difficulty department.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Bray came into the USCe game with nothing to lose. Hunter spent the whole season with nothing to lose. This is their first test. This is the first time anyone with any logical sense thinks Tennessee is putting up a fight against a real opponent with any of these players, save maybe Poole.

16. kidbourbon

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. To generally articulate, I think the notion that the public perception of how we are going to perform somehow makes a game a test or not a test for the players is pretty silly. Especially the receivers. The fact of the matter is that Hunter has seen better defensive backs in his face than he will see Saturday. He's been tested. To state otherwise is, well, something really close to ridiculous.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't get the feeling that Bray or the receivers feel much pressure at all. The offensive line, sure. Poole, definitely. But the receivers and QB seem loose.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

To pretend this isn't a test is pure comedy. It's a test for everyone. Last year at the UF game, we knew we still sucked and we had no idea where we were going. The ship has been righted and things have gone smoothly since Bray took over. It's time to see if that was because of the inferior competition or if we actually have the talent we want to believe we do. Maybe Hunter has played a better back, but the closest thing to a complete defense like this is UNC and even then it's not close. The receivers have to step up to help the O-line. They've got to be ready for passes that are coming way sooner because Bray's going to have to get rid of the ball a lot sooner. It would be foolish to still have Hunter start out runnign nothing but deep outs and slants. Throw in some curves where he runs a shorter route and then tries to beat everyone with his speed. This is absolutely a test for this whole offense. Quit kidding yourself. Last year, Hunter had 3 catches for 60 yds. An impressive YPC, but we're gonna need a lot more from him this year. Fortunately, he has Bray throwing to him now instead of Simms, but he still has to show he can step up. He didn't have a single reception against Bama last year. At LSU last year, 1 catch. They went 0-3 in those games btw. This a test for the whole team.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

never with the role of the number one receiver and playmaker on the team. Hunter has already caught as many passes in two games as he did the entire season last year. His role is completely different than it was last year.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

plus, i wouldn't even agree that Hunter has played against better DB's in the past. He was what, the number 3 receiver on our team last year? he is easily number 1 this year, so he will get attention from the best DBs on each team.