Tennessee to spend a week of training camp at Milligan College

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 17, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yeah, his wife died from cancer a few years ago. He was coaching in the late '90s early 2000s. We always attended the Auburn camp together. Crazy guy. Lots of fun to be around. He's from my county seat of Rogersville, TN- the state's 2nd oldest city. He vacations in Destin with my hs defensive coach, mentor, and boss (hc) when I was still in the football game. They both went to college with Don Dunn (Tubberville's d line coach for years) at ETSU back in the late '70s. That's how I got connected with Tubbs.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. JayVols

Cool. Live and learn I guess.

3. JayVols

Slacker. Gonna have to get with "The Process" and step it up. Welcome back.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Here are the biggest concerns for Dooley in this week away from home as I see it:

Are the showers adequate for proper hygiene?

Does the cafeteria/catering staff have a copy of the menu requirements, and have they been briefed on the unacceptability of substitution?

In all seriousness, this could be a good thing. We know what they did during preseason the last couple of years hasn't really paid off largely.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Agree totally. Milligan has its pros and cons like any school. Compared to what these guys are used to, spending a week there will be hell to them comparatively speaking.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eh, I don't know. That team only went 1-9 that year, and Bryant went on to be a great coach somewhere else.

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

My first two years in Polk County Georgia, (Cedartown/Rockmart) I was at Rockmart and coached Jr. High football, we played Pepperell and beat them for the first time while I was coaching.Went undefeated that year. Pepperell has a pretty good sized school and quite impressive when you walk into the lobby and see the two grand staircases that lead up to the second floor. I have a few friends that teach there. In fact I even interviewed there but took the Polk offer since it came first.

8. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

Whatever it takes to pull this team out of the slum. I'm tired of talking about how great Tennessee used to be. I'm not completely sold on Doolander's tactics as of yet. Chemistry can go along way. Maybe they'll bring some of that back from Milligan.

9. JayVols

An assistant from Pepperell ( sorry for the earlier misspellings- wasn't sure how to spell it) taught me the best defense I have used in defending the wing T. He left for a year or 2 to be the HC at another school with a long weird name in the area, Apha- something, I think. I can't remember his name. Any of you guys have any clue what the HS's name is and possibly the name of the coach I'm referring to?

10. Oldvol75

Don't know his name but I believe the Name of the school would be Alpharetta. I think thats how you spell it, I can say it better but it wouldn't help now since you can't hear me!

Heres there football coaches web page:

http://www.alpharettaraiders.org/coaches.php?position=varsitycoach&titleid=varsitycoach

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  11. JayVols

It wasn't Alpharetta. It was stranger than that. I could be totally wrong, but pretty sure it started with an "A" and possibly had "echee" at the ending. Then again, I might be smoking crack.... I think their colors were dark blue/white? and I'm thinking they were a rival of Pepperell.

12. Oldvol75

How about Armuchee High School its also in Rome,GA.

Armuchee High School (Rome, GA) Football Home - MaxPreps.com

Heres there home web page

http://www.floydboe.net/Sites/Site2/homepage.asp?&Check=True&Check=True

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  13. JayVols

That's it. Thanks OV.

14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

so on the way back to Ft Bragg today I took an ever so slight detour through Milligan's campus and those two soccer fields should easily cover any needs they need for a week of training camp. I easily underestimated how big that area was. I still say throwing them in Webb Hall though is going to take them on the ride of their lives. Still think the "culture shock" will do more than a lot of people think.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I like the idea and think it will have a positive effect. Need a bit of an attitude adjustment after last season.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The team took on the personality of its HC.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes they did. It's one reason I'm having a hard time being optimistic about this upcoming season.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Here is the lone conundrum that I am having an issue with. I've not been in any one on one meetings with Dooley, but I've seen him speak a dozen times around town the past two years. Dooley pre-2010 and Dooley pre-2011 were two totally different animals when speaking. And it wasn't just what he was saying, it was his tone, mannerisms, etc. He was a lot more optimistic and at least IMO genuinely thought last year's team could be good.

I mean, we all know the guy is emotional and swings from one end of the spectrum to the other. But, if things do go well, could this team take on a decent positive vibe this year?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They would have to go 12 games without facing adversity of any kind.

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member