The BBQ Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 9, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That is good to know. I'm jealous of you, but that is good to know.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Thanks, jo. We'll check some of these out, and soon.

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

It's been about 20 years so I hesitate to do so, but it was good then.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Was fortunate enough to eat at the amazing Oklahoma Joe's in KC last week, one of Anthony Bourdain's 13 places you must eat before you die. Stood in line for over an hour but boy was it good. The smoked sausage and burnt ends were great. Ribs were well prepared if not a tad salty. Still, a destination all bbq lovers must journey to once in their life.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'm not standing in line for an hour for anything. I don't care if Jesus Christ himself cooked it on a golden smoker made from 100 virgins.

Glad you enjoyed it though.

6. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

In the Raleigh-Durham area, Allen & Son in Chapel Hill is the best I've had by far. Among the best BBQ I've had, period. The Pit in Raleigh gets a lot of pub, but I haven't been there yet. Backyard BBQ Pit in Durham is pretty good, too, especially their sauces.

Not sure about in-between places, except for Lexington BBQ, which is a little far from I-40.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Did some traveling over the holidays and was fortunate to eat at two pretty good bbq spots: Red Bridges BBQ in Shelby, NC and Mama Brown's in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Bridges is a famous spot currently rated as NC's best bbq. Sauce was excellent and it is very good bbq. Mama Brown's is an upstart but well-prepared and seasoned bbq... good not great but recommended the next time you travel to Isle of Palms or that side of Charleston.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Lexington BBQ is worth the drive. The Pit is good according to a friend of my Dad who won the N. Carolina State Championship for whole hog roasting. He did one for us one 4th of July picnic and it was incredible. Along with a deer he also roasted. If he says it's good, I believe it.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Brother had his rehearsal dinner at Allen & Son. Best BBQ I've had.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Visited Lexington BBQ twice recently. I think it might be my favorite BBQ place now of anywhere I have been, at least for chopped pork. Also check out Troutman's BBQ if you are ever near downtown Concord.They take the pork out of the smoker barside and chop it before your eyes.

Traveling through Dallas and had a brisket sandwich at Railhead BBQ. My goodness I've always detested brisket but this was very very good. Happy eating!

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

If I ever get to Concord again, I'll try to stop there. Brisket is so variable in texture, tenderness and how it is sliced that it is a crap shoot. There is a place in Abingdon, VA that has an incredible brisket samich called the Bonefire. It was previously in Kingsport on Main across from trainstation and included the music venue "Buspit". They also have a smoked turkey samich with gobs of Swiss cheese that is hands down the best of it's type I have eaten. If you ever get back to the Tri-Cities, give me a buzz, and we'll try it or some other BBQ joint.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Met up with Lexvol Monday for lunch in Lexington (Ky). Bluedoor Smokehouse very good brisket.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Guys that can smoke brisket will change that in you. We had a favorite spot in Leander TX that smoked brisket that would almost melt in your mouth.

14. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Mama Browns is only a couple miles from my House. Their sides are decent, but the bbq is horrible and is nothing but glorified fast food. Their pork is roasted and and not smoked. There are much better bbq areas that take great priding in smoking their food in the Charleston area that serve smoked brisket, ribs, and pulled pork. Such places are Hometeam BBQ, Swig and Swine, and my house :).

I might add the Big Boned BBQ is a food truck at Coast Brewery in North Chatleston has some of the best smoked brisket in America. The owner spends the spring and summer touring America in every major BBQ contest.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  15. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Franklin's and Holy Smoke in Austin are amazing

16. Low Country Vol

If you or any regulars on the board are in my area, Ill take you to some real bbq.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Where is your area? And how low is it?

18. Low Country Vol

Charleston Area

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

What style we talkin' here, LC?

20. Low Country Vol

For the smoked pulled pork most people in these parts like mustard based sauce. Its actually very sweet. Most places have several the regional sauces on the side for your choosing. I prefer vinegar myself with some heat.