The Bergdahl Story

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

It's strange to me that they sat on him for 5 years, it doesn't add up with how our captives have been dealt with in the past. All in all its a ****ed up chain of events from him wandering off his post in search of Taliban, to a sudden breakthrough securing his release at a convenient time for the current US administration.

The dots won't ever be connected fully.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

We lost men searching for him. If he's a deserter, **** him.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

From the reports that are out there now about this guy, if they are true, he has gone past deserter.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

About joining the enemy?

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

If it's true he was a deserter and he joined the enemies then this story could get out of control for Barrack . Talk about throwing gasoline on the whole VA thing. Backlash could be astronomical.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

teammates don't turn on a guy like this if he isn't a deserter. The fact that politics even remotely entered this is sickening.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly what I said. I've never seen military folk turn on their own like this, so it seems quite reasonable that there is a reason. This may have been a huge mistake.

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Yes

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds like the tv show Homeland.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't know what to think. I've been kinda unplugged from news for a week.

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It really does

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Should have planted c4 in the terrorist and exploded it when they got to their destination

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Infect them with smallpox or some such, imo. By the time they are symptomatic they would have hugged kissed and cried with all of their closest friends.

14. JayVols

Too English, imho.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I hear that he deserted. That can't be true can it; after all Susan Rice, said on ABC that Bowe Bergdahl "served the United States with honor and distinction".

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Excellent.

Im sure they will release a youtube clip that will garner some favor with the masses.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Rice also said, "And given the acute urgency of the health condition of Sergeant Bergdahl, and given the president's constitutional responsibilities, it was determined that it was necessary and appropriate not to adhere to the 30-day notification requirement, because it would have potentially meant that the opportunity to get Sergeant Bergdahl would have been lost and, therefore..."

He better hope they don't send him to a VA Hospital.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

From CNN's latest article:

"E-mails reported by the late Michael Hastings in Rolling Stone in 2012 reveal what Bergdahl's fellow infantrymen learned within days of his disappearance: He told people that he no longer supported the U.S. effort in Afghanistan.

"The future is too good to waste on lies," he wrote to his parents. "And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

Bergdahl wrote to them, "I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting."

CNN has not independently verified the authenticity of the e-mails."

As the commander said, they have a duty to go and get him as a member of the armed forces, despite however he came into enemy hands. But now, he needs to answer for the cost of human life which was incurred in doing so, IMO.

President Obama may have erred here.

19. JayVols

I agree.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

WW2 Vet once said:

"The surest way to become a pacifist is to join the Infantry."

Greatest generation my ass.

You people are putting way too much into the words of a 23 year old.