The Bergdahl Story

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Just because congress is a cluster**** doesn't mean you get to sidestep it as the executive branch sees fit.

2. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I've heard its pretty good stuff, from a little bird, of course.

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay. I am with you on that sort of picture.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

They felt it was time sensitive. I'm not in love with it, but that isn't even the third most disturbing part of this story.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Par for the course with this administration.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ugh, I'd love to have a real conversation with this without the obvious political undertones of "zomg worst administration evar"

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Regardless of the administration, turning 5 prisoners over for Bergdahl was ignorant.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He can flesh it out anyway he wants, but this was poor leadership while breaking the law.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ehh. I'm ok with that. sometimes the president has to do things without kissing the right ass. you just have to take consequences for your actions if you are going to do it.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems like a strange thing for someone to invent. not as though simply deserting isn't enough evidence the guy was bad news.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Depends who is asking, what they think you want to hear, and if they want to please you. If the guy went looking for the Taliban, he isn't just a deserter he is also certifiably insane.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd say you'd have to be fairly off to walk away from your post like that anyway. certainly there are far better ways to get out of the military.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Which is all I see, and bunch of knee jerking all over the place. As an example, I have a friend (R) who served during the Bush 2 years and he was always [itch bay]ing about how shitty the VA was while he was in. Now, the VA news drops and he's ready to trash to whole administration.

For me though, I agreed the 5:1 is pretty stupid. However, people act like this first president to negotiate with "terrorists". First of all, I don't think the government even technically classifies the Taliban as terrorists. Second, while I can't cite it as fact, I've read where one (or some) of the Bush releases were involved in Benghazi. Clinton did it too. And so did Regan. What's worse...trading men for Americans or trading weapons for Americans, with hostile foreign groups?

And I certainly understand where the perspective comes from for those who have actually served.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

And that is the sort of conversation I wish were happening- a policy one. Not a political "gotcha" one.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You mean to say you aren't guilty of that at times?

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Gotcha!

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Here you go; I wish Obama would make it a "Policy" to stop lying to the American people to justify his actions or lack of actions.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I didn't think the "Policy" of a president lying was specific to this one.