POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Here we have a case of corporate prosecution on the part of Chevron against an environmental activist who successfully sued the sociopaths for poisoning an area of the Amazon larger than Rhode Island, resulting in a humanitarian and ecological catastrophe. The man currently sits in an American prison, what a disgrace.

Burn it down. I’m out.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, burn it down.

3. chef65

chef65 Contributor

It’s a sad day when we have to look to a cult leader dressed in a silly uniform to find an honest critique of greed and human indifference.

The life of Jesus is all the more inspiring when we realize that he was a primate like everyone else, a product of his time who spoke of imaginary things like demons and hell. The same principle applies to MLK’s extramarital affairs. These examples show us what we can achieve in spite of our common limitations as mammals.

It’s never healthy to identify a man as a god or to view the pope as closer to god than a hobo. If there is a god worth worshipping he counts every man one in the same. This is one of the few points on which I agree with my evangelical family.

justingroves and IP like this.
  4. chef65

chef65 Contributor

“If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!”
    ― Rudyard Kipling

IP likes this.
  5. chef65

chef65 Contributor

sounds right

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The "Let's go Brandon!" thing is silly, but it is not a threat and the first amendment allows people to literally say "Eff Joe Biden" or whatever if they wanted to. Not sure why this is a thing, or why I should care. A lot of undue excitement and angst over this.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I cringe when any large group of people chant [uck fay] any president, I just don't like it.

However, how it came to be called let's go Brandon is funny to me.

zehr27 and Ssmiff like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

When I was in line voting, a car would drive by and yell that at the serpentine queue of voters about every 10 or 15 minutes. That was the first I had heard of it. Some were complaining that it was harassing a polling station, but there were at least 2 seemingly illegal things under state law going on (one party's candidates present and lobbying for votes right outside the door and well within 40 ft, both parties passing out sample ballots at the door and well within 40 ft), and I would effortlessly default to the first amendment for what citizens are yelling from 100 ft away.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The origin story of it is hilarious. Like Groves, I'm not a big fan of people chanting [uck fay] any president, but the reporter trying to spin what was obviously a "[uck fay] Joe Biden" chant into a "Let's go Brandon" chant is just so damn funny.

The whole thing probably would have died out by now if certain people hadn't reacted and made such a big deal about it. The pearl clutching is the standard hypocritical nature of politics, after Robert De Niro was lauded for saying "[uck fay] Trump" at the Tony awards and Samantha Bee as well calling Ivanka Trump a [unt cay].

On my way to Hagerstown today, I saw a semi with just a "[uck fay] Biden" flag flowing in the wind. At least "Let's Go Brandon" is clever.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've said F the previous five presidents at some point or another. I think Baby Bush is the current leader of that pack. I'm an American, and like it or not, it's a very American thing to do.

Haven't said F Joe Biden yet, but I'll probably go with, "Let's go Brandon" when I do.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont like to hear the f whoever chants. But yes the reporter that initially said it on air is funny to me, whether she knew what she was doing or really thought they were saying Brandon.

13. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I’ve interpreted song lyrics in comically inaccurate ways. Rihanna said “Can’t be scared when it goes down” and I heard “Don’t be staring nickels down,” like a look at Jefferson would turn you to salt, so I get how a crazy person could genuinely fail to comprehend something obvious.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    IP likes this.
  14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol, no way man. I agree that sometimes song lyrics can be difficult to understand. This situation is not the same as that. What they’re chanting is extremely clear.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, that's it.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

stop the cat box stop the cat box

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Marshall Tucker Band "Purty Little Love Song" (really "Heard it in a love song")

I hear the wrong stuff in songs all the time.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is the logic in the reporter 1) definitely hearing what was said and then 2) acknowledging and calling attention to the profanity during the broadcast? I get the impression that many think that those 2 things should have been what happened, but neither piece makes sense to me.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Okay

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not talking at you, I am trying to understand the perspective. Mine is clearly not the popular one.