The Butch Jones Doomsday Clock is now the Jeremy Pruitt Doomsday Clock

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think he's safe until he starts losing big time in 2021 but I also think a new quarterback changes a lot, too.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

never understood the Matt cambell love. Dude is barely above .500

TDVol1989 and InVolNerable like this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The last guy Tennessee hired that had head coaching experience at Iowa State worked out well

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't see .500 without a ladder right now.

droski and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Basically what groves said. It's hard to put that performance together at different schools. There are very few Sabans out there. His name getting dragged through the mud won't help with recruiting either, but that's not as huge a deal these days.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Turned Arkansas State around from 4-8, and no winning record since 1995, to 10-3 in one year. Tied program record for most FBS wins in a season.

Ole Miss from 2-10 to 7-6. Then 8, then 9, then 10 (then 5). Tied program record for most wins in a season. Got Ole Miss up to #3 for the first time since the 60’s, and did it two years in a row. Finished 2015 #10, only Ole Miss coach not named John Vaught to do that.

Liberty was 6-6 the year before him, their first year as a program. Considered a transition year where they played at least 2 FCS schools. He was 8-5 last year, and 8-0 this year and has them ranked. Will break school record for wins with his next one.

He has a pretty good track record of turning it around and succeeding.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

And you're welcome to think he could do it again in Knoxville, but I just think the bloom is off his rose as far as big time college football.

In the unlikely event he is hired, I certainly hope I am wrong, but he is a known quantity at this point. There's no more up and coming to him, and his status as damaged goods could also limit his ability to bring on quality assistants.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I don’t like the guy. Just saying he has a good track record.

zehr27 likes this.
  9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. I don't want anything to do with him.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What exactly are Freeze's issues, laid bare, that should forever taint him?

1. He had affairs, but with sex workers instead of the other kind.

2. He might have been in a room when a high school girl changed her shirt.

3. He rode Oher to a job he isn't actually terrible at.

4. He pretends at holier than thou

5. Known slime ball, not to be confused with possible slime ball that we'd otherwise be hiring.

Are these about the sum of his terribleness?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  11. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

How many older guys that are still starting have a legit shot in the league? If a player is not on this list, is there a reason for starting them?

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think Napier is a good coach and has a pretty bright future. I would like to see him in a bigger conference before pulling the trigger though. I believe Fickell is a good coach and seems like a defensive version of Kiffin. Only thing I worry about is its not that hard to win at Cincy. I would almost rather stick with Pruitt and keep upgrading his staff until you have a Dabo type situation.

I like Healy but I just can't get over that he brought back the turnover trash can.

justingroves likes this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't really know enough about the allegations against him to have that strong of an opinion. I can forgive him the prostitute stuff. That's between him, his wife, and the recruits and their families. Whoever hires him will still have that tied to them. It's the Briarcrest stuff I don't know about. I've read some of it here and other places, but it sounds like a lot of he said, she said stuff. He could be innocent, or he may have done something to deserve to have a railroad spike driven through his scrotum in order to hang him in the public square. I don't know.

I know his record is impressive, but I just have serious doubts he can do it again today.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Whoever the next coach is, whether it is 2021 or 2022, I want a guy that can coach QBs and run an offense and give him the money to hire a top tier DC.

Memtownvol likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

#2 is quite worrisome in terms of judgement and how he wields authority, which is important at a place like UT because a coach with any success becomes very powerful far beyond just the team

16. fl0at_

Which would be easy to ascertain, given that the number of high school aged girls at Briarcrest when he was there is a fixed number. Then there doesn't have to be speculation about this incident.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When someone is widely considered a slimeball in a profession full of slimeballs, it gives cause for concern.

hohenfelsvol and justingroves like this.
  18. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I wonder if he ever got in on some Falwell action?

cpninja and CardinalVol like this.
  19. fl0at_

Right. But luckily, it's easy to keep an eye on someone who is a known slime ball.

It's kinda hard to do it to the unknown ones.

20. fl0at_

Added a 5.