The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

This could bring back The Wire. Gang run police unit uses violence but protects certain gang members and takes out hits. Corruption, gangs, money laundering, bribes and payoffs to those in the know. Some victims are those who know too much..

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That is a terrifying thing if true. If gangs have pull over the police department that city is screwed.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

My understanding is that Los Angeles PD is filled with gangs too.

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It is if true. I always just brushed it off as one of those urban legends Memphis kids would rattle on about. Lots to uncover still

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I guess gangs in whatever form within policing isn’t exactly a new thing if you ponder on it for sec. Just look at what the KKK did

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I suppose it is partly on how you label certain associative behavior.

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Wait, according to Twitter the old TV Judge Joe Brown is running for Memphis mayor? That’s something. I wonder if he actually has a shot? Perhaps Memphis could use an outsider at this point to come clean house whether it be him or whoever?

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

These cities are in some serious trouble. We have to do a better job.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I consider the KKK, especially *THE* KKK from back in the day (maybe not so much losers jerking in their double wides that now call themselves KKK) to absolutely be a gang. Hell, maybe even the first gang that this country ever had…

10. Ssmiff

We have to pay more and have a better pool of people to choose from. They leave every night for work with risk of not coming home that none of us can truly understand, and should be overcompensated. Better training, better applicants, better people, fewer issues which means more trust and fewer run ins, fewer chases.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If gangs have infested PD's white people might start becoming afraid of the cops. Will be interesting to watch that play out in policy changes.

12. Ssmiff

there are plenty of white people who are terrified of and hate cops. They just aren’t the white folk you hang around with.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You're always one stop away from being one.

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Good luck attracting the best of the best to take a dangerous and stressful job for 40k a year. Police have got to raise to their standards of who is allowed in while also significantly raising starting police salaries. You almost have to be crazy to accept a 35/40k a year new police starting salary in exchange for doing a job as stressful and dangerous as theirs. Cops, especially in certain areas, are exposed to the worst of humanity on a daily basis. That lifestyle would have to screw with you

zehr27 likes this.
  15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This is true. Most white folks I know are conservatives who, anytime a cop executes someone, automatically says stupid shit like they had legitimate cause, and the person should have just listened and complied. Who, when further evidence comes out, continues to contort fact with fantasy to keep excusing the event as an "unfortunate accident". If they think the gangs are taking over, they might decide it's no longer a good idea for "the state" to have largely unlimited and unsupervised power. They might decide qualified immunity is anything but justice or that cops shooting first and asking questions later for being "disrespected" by a mere citizen in no position of power is not a good thing. They might decide all the deeply integrated and systemic issues within our justice system might need to be addressed. Or maybe not. Will be interesting to watch.

16. Ssmiff

unfortunately they used to be the kind I did hang with, in SE Memphis, in the early 90s, Kirby and Winchester.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eerie and inarguable.

18. Ssmiff

you really think IP you are one stop on way home from work from being murdered as you hand over your ID and registration with hands at 10 and 2? Really?

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

“Sweet! When’s the Netflix series coming out about it?!”-YT folk (many millennial & Gen Z YTs at least)

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not how I took it. I took it as, I am one really bad experience with the police from hating the police. Do I think I am likely to have a bad experience with the police? I think I am very unlikely to have a bad experience with the police.

Ssmiff likes this.