The Indy Talks To Himself (NBA) Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also read today that Bron has played 1/3 of his minutes this season at the 5.

Dude's natural position is the 3, but he led the league in assists the season that he played the most at the 1, and now he's playing a lot at the 5 (and his team is finding success with it). The versatility is nuts.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Thanks for educating me on how this stuff works

3. Ssmiff

Indy how old are you. Find it hard to believe you have any recall of Jordan's first decade so don't preach about not watching players play. I saw both play. You didnt

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I was born in 91. I have absolutely seen Jordan play. I grew up idolizing the guy, shooting hoops with my friends at recess and each of us saying we were a different member of the Bulls' starting 5.

Turns out, games have been recorded for quite some time, so you can be born in 1991 and still see Michael Jordan play.

Hell, to take it a step further, I used to HATE LeBron and still am not a huge fan of his approach to a lot of social justice issues. I still remember reveling in his loss to the Mavericks after watching the entire series with my buddy, who was a huge LeBron fan at the time. I laugh about it all the time because it was probably his easiest title shot, and had he won it, this debate would be even more in my favor.

I think you're just biased. You don't like LeBron because you think he represents a changing game that you don't like as much as the product from the 90's. You've admitted you don't watch him and haven't for quite some time. You openly shit on today's NBA with regularity, and you obviously don't align with Bron's politics. I think your opinion is largely formed out of bias.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

For the record, I much prefer the type of discussion I was having with @NashVol11 rather than this type of discussion. One is productive and interesting. The other is a waste of time.

6. Ssmiff

What I thought. You saw his Wizards games as a 10 yr old and have no recollection of any of his Bulls games from the 80s and 90s because you didn't exist or were in diapers. Yet you want to talk about me missing half a career because I don't watch every lebron game.
    Again thanks for the lesson on how opinions are formed. And no need to lie about going back and watching Bulls games. You didn't so don't say you did. People that didn't see Jordan play live are the ones who insist he's not the goat. You are no different.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol - "Don't say you did that thing that you did because you didn't do it."

8. Ssmiff

I dont like Lebron because he changed the game? Really you should stick with discussions such as with Nash. You can't handle anything else all the while claiming others are biased or dont understand "how it works".
    For the 3rd time, I need a play on either end, I pick Jordan. You pick Lebron. If it's an NBA finals, we all know which is the better choice and it's not debatable.

9. Ssmiff

You did not go back and watch Bulls seasons from when you were sitting your diapers so don't act like you did. Blatant lie to try to support your bullshit.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Okay. Consider, for a moment, that you know nothing about me, then reconsider your stance on whether I've ever watched Jordan play.

I'm from Indiana, for Christ's sake. I 100% kept up with the Eastern Conference as a kid. I saw the Pacers live on a number of occasions and was a huge Reggie Miller (Boom Baby!) fan. And while I wasn't old enough at that time to truly understand everything I was seeing from a basketball perspective, the games are absolutely recorded, and I have absolutely gone back and watched plenty of games from that era.

12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Lol what a nerd

justingroves likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

Jordan's last game for the Bulls was when you were 7. If I can't have an opinion for not watching as much basketball the last few years of Lebrons 18 yr career, you can't have an opinion on Jordan for having no recollection of his entire Bulls career outside of highlights.

14. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

The comeback from down 3-1 against a 73-win team in the Finals, leading both teams in every category, is better than anything Michael Jeffrey Jordan ever did.

Carry on

Indy and InVolNerable like this.
  15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

To be fair, he was on the floor for those three losses to get them in that position in the first place.

But the turnaround is pretty remarkable. I agree, probably one of the best championship comebacks in any sport.

Indy and Ssmiff like this.
  16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It was James' most impressive performance, although he got help from Kyrie, like Irving's 41 in Game 5 and the series winner in Game 7. But, James play was most certainly iconic. Was it better than Jordan's 1993 Finals against Phoenix, where he averaged 41 for the series? It's a close call.

Between the two, James' win in the 2016 Finals is the best accomplishment. I'm not sold on it being James having the best performance.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

On a side note, I often don't know what to make of the 2016 Warriors. The 73 wins speak for themselves, but the Durant teams, I thought, were better, even if they didn't have the record to back it up.

*This isn't an anti-LeBron thing. The 2016 Warriors were plenty great. I just wonder, specifically, about how to quantify those Warriors teams.

18. NashVol11

Mostly from following people like Zach Lowe, who is still mostly an eye test guy but tends to track analytics as well. Don't know much about those calculations but found the below:

RAPTOR stands for “Robust Algorithm (using) Player Tracking (and) On/Off Ratings” and measures the number of points a player contributes to team offense and team defense per 100 possessions, relative to a league-average player.
    IE – a player with an “Offensive RAPTOR Rating” of +1.5 would mean: He improves his team’s offense by 1.5 points per 100 offensive possessions while he is on the floor.
    A player with a “Defensive RAPTOR Rating” of +2.4 would mean: He improves his team’s defense by 2.4 points per 100 possessions while he is on the court.

LEBRON

InVolNerable likes this.
  19. NashVol11

I agree with this. The '17 Warriors were just about unbeatable.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Grizz are 25-14 now.

NashVol11 likes this.