The Official "We Gonna Get Our Asses Kicked by OU" thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Snakes on a Wii, Sep 6, 2014.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Would anyone here take Bo Wallace over Worley?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My opinions of our defensive staff is rising. I don't think it's possible for my opinion of Bajakian to be too much lower.

Our defense is our only hope next week.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Won't get fixed until we hire a guy that can run an offense using something other than the "Ask Corso" option on XBox

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

They can compete for awhile. The O wont keep the ball long enough to keep them fresh and we ll run out of gas.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

In a ****ing second, and Wallace isn't good either

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Solid.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

KidB would have to give it some thought before taking Worley over Ball

8. BigOrangeBeech

I mean, I'm just asking questions here not really sure what I think about it, but other than being more mobile than Worley, what does he do better throwing the ball?

9. JayVols

Please don't call what we try to do in the non-passing game as a run. Boondoggling game might be acceptable, but never anything that contains the letters r, u and n in succession. Please.

10. JayVols

Mobile "like".

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

He's more mobile and has a slightly stronger arm, that's enough for me. At least the read no option might become a read option then

12. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

And they will jump those horizontal routes and ...

13. Without looking at Worley's stats, I want you to see if you can pick them out of the following lineup.

25 of 38, 260 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
    24 of 39, 318 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT
    22 of 36, 285 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
    17 of 25, 235 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

One of them is Worley's average over two games. The others are AJ McCarron's 2013 averages, Johnny Manziel's 2012 averages, and Peyton Manning's 1997 averages.

Of course, Worley is nowhere close to being in those guy's leagues. And against stronger competition his numbers will take a hit and he won't even be close to comparable.

But, if you're arguing solely that he has looked bad so far, I don't see how you can say that besides the notorious "eye test". He has, by all numerical measure, performed well so far this year. And even if you're talking about just what you see with your eyeballs, it's not clear cut that he looks bad. Some posters think he looks better, some do not.

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

With Worley's arm strength, they will probably be able to jump the read no option

15. JayVols

[​IMG]

16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Seems unanimous that our play calling and really the offensive game plan isn't good enough. Bajakian is easy to blame and we run the Zone Read (no read) and jet sweep worse than anyone. But, is this not the offense Butch wants? Not all OC's have full control so would getting rid of him work, regardless of who comes? Will Butch allow some mods to offense?

17. JayVols

What were Manziel's, McCarron's and Manning's averages against the cupcake opponents?

I don't understand how anyone can't see the guy is no threat to run in a read option offense, is no threat to stretch the field with his arm, and the only reasons his numbers aren't atrocious is that we have athletic WRs that turn 3 yard hitches into 10-20 yard gains.

Show me two throws, one per game, where he's stretched the field and I might reconsider.

18. There's nothing to not understand. I don't think anyone here is disputing any of those points you've made. They are all legitimate criticisms of Worley's ability. All that anyone is contesting is that these limitations make him terrible, awful, or any of the other adjectives you and others attach to him.

To the point of cupcakes: I'm sure that their stats are much better against the cupcakes. But they probably weren't as exaggerated as you might think. Taking a cursory look at Manziel's 2012 game by game stats, this is certainly the case.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16736/year/2012/type/college/johnny-manziel

19. BigOrangeBeech

Your naming things that set apart the great QBs from the average QBs. If Worley averaged 4 turnovers a game, then yes he would be in the "suck" category. Just because he can't run, and his arm strength is less than par and that he has an exceptional group of WRs to throw to doesn't automatically put him in the "suck" category.

Now, when we started the season last year, he was on par with this, but he's taken some strides since then.

20. JayVols

What exactly does it make him, then?