The Parenting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tell her a civic is a death trap. I believe every 16 year old should start out in a big boxy clunker because they are going to hit something.

My father and I had a lot of time spent getting my first car put together. I think he liked it more than I did.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I never rode in the bed of a truck when I was that age...

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

My first car was actually my dad's first car when he graduated high school. It was a 1972 Dodge Demon 340 fastback and it was bad ass. I loved that car and so did everyone else ... muscle cars were still the shit back in those days.

*Edit* I got it 1988 ...

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha ha

my thought exactly.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Come home from work yesterday and walk in the door expecting the normal "daddy's home" rush to the door from the kids (well except for the 15 yr old) and all I got was a sympathetic smile from wife. I asked what was going on and find out that apparently my SEVEN year old daughter just had her BOYFRIEND break up with her. I immediately lost my shit a little ... not because some kid broke up with my daughter but because she's seven ****ing years old ... when did seven year olds get a ****ing boyfriend??? I felt like that Vince Lombardi clip, "What the hell is going on out here!!!!" Needless to say, we had a long talk. I told her if some boy asked her to be his girlfriend, you tell them, little Johnny, for you own personal safety it's best if you just walk away and not say another word.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

So, little me isn't cooperating with the whole sleep thing. The wife and I are having to do shifts during the night and it sucks.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Welcome to parenthood. Sleep when he does if possible. It does get better though and I can tell you that it sucks now and sounds sadistic, but you'll miss the nights of holding him like that.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Riddle me this -

How does one intertwine a slinky around a string on a Mickey Mouse guitar? Last night was the first time Little Me completely baffled me with what he had accomplished. I still can't figure it out.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

multiply it times two and you have my life.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

As much as it sucks, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Part of the problem is my wife. She is terrified of both of us sleeping while he is asleep. I'm not sure how I'm going to get her over that.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I can't imagine having twins.

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

In my experience the only thing that will get her over that is time. She will begin to feel more secure about his safety the farther along you get. The only thing you can do is reassure her.

13. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I'll be finding out in two weeks or so how that will work. Twin girls and a 3 1/2 year old girl. Me and my one eyed cat Cletus have no chance.

14. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Get one of these: Amazon.com: Angelcare Baby Movement and Sound Monitor Deluxe Plus, Blue: Baby

It helps momma sleep at night, it also has crazy range.... I can be out in the farthest part of my backyard and still pick up the kids.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i can't imagine having a todler on top of it. i hope grandparents are readily available. I live a half a mile away from my in laws and we are still way in the weeds.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sooner or later she'll be so tired that nature will take it's course. it's a temporary problem. my current agenda is getting my wife to get them out of our room and sleep train them, but she's freaking out over it.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In full retrospect, I regret not taking my dad's offer of redoing his old 84 Bronco II.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Finally convinced my wife that it would be fine to let little me sleep by himself through the night. He proceeded to piss all over himself, blow chunks, and then left a massive pile in his diaper. By the time all this was done my wife was to worked up to leave him alone. Well played, son.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Whip him. He's old enough now.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Late to the party, but this is true.

Congrats.