The Section 102 Postgame Autopsy.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Mar 20, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I thought Maze turned into a solid PG. He wasn't good or great, but he was solid and I had more confidence in him by the end than I do Golden in crunch-time.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

We don't have anyone on the current roster that I feel confident about in the clutch.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The clutch doing what? The only reason this team was in the debate this year was games Golden slammed shut on Wichita, Florida, and Missouri.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The last ten games or so of his career were solid. I'll remember him fondly for that.

5. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Yeah - Bobby was OK his senior season. I agree on the Trae comparison. You knew he could only go to his right and you knew he was only good for 20 minutes as he seemed to get gassed easily. But he was pretty smart with the ball, played D and had a little offense.

But for an all round floor general the last had to be CJ IMO.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I didn't say anything inconsistent with that. I'm saying there's no one that at crunch time that I feel like they're going to do what it takes to win. You're right, Golden did it in 3 games, but there were many more games that no one performed in the clutch, which was my point.

7. hatvol96

How many games in his entire career did Maze do anything that was really important in a big win. Hell, Melvin Goins made more big plays than he did.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I have no idea. I wasn't the one touting Bobby Maze. I was never a Maze fan.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He went left like Johnny Dangerously - once.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Evaluating recent point guards at UT is like measuring [Richards] at a dwarf convention.

11. hatvol96

That's a cute call, but when is the last time Maze or Goins rang up 20 or ate up a player of Phil Pressey's caliber? It's [dadgum] never and you guys are nothing more than the guys I have to deal with every day on air who believe the Scumbag Bruce years were about a million times better than they were.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bruce's years here were the best I've seen of UT bball. He may not be an upstanding guy, and our PG play may have been worse than it is now, but at least we were winning a lot of games, having exciting seasons, and made a run to the elite eight. Why am I wrong for enjoying that?

13. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

You're not. Even the low points were certainly better than these past two seasons.

14. hatvol96

Yeah, being sancionted and getting beat by [dadgum] thirty in the tournament was so good. Bruce was trash and those of you who hang on to him are the [dadgum] same. Next.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not hanging on to anything. I'm remembering the good of his tenure rather than the bad because I'm not a bitter person. It's not like I'm calling for his return, i just enjoyed watching us play most of the years he was here.

What should I be so excited about with CCM? Losing with integrity?

16. hatvol96

A run to the Elite Eight that was predicated on a street thug loser hitting a bunch of fluke threes in the first round, else Bruce Almighty would have been 0-for the shot his last three years in the Dance and everyone would have seen him for what he is: college hoops' Jerry Glanville.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  17. hatvol96

I never wanted Martin hired. Next.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's all fine and dandy Hat. If Marquette makes an elite 8 run this year, is anyone going to point out all the trash threes they got lucky on to sneak through the first round? Doubtful. A tourney win is a tourney win regardless of how it's won. Survive and advance.

I guess I just don't see why you let your hatred of Bruce ruin your enjoyment of our team's success. It's mind boggling.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Anyone with any vision at all would see that Martin's ceiling is not championship level. Instead, they'll probably let him struggle a long for the next three years.

20. hatvol96

They won't. It won't matter and if Marquette gets properly tagged for how Buzz got Todd Mayo and Vander Blue in school, their fan base won't mark out.