The Section 102 Postgame Autopsy.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Disagree. If he doesn't see the second weekend next year, he's done.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I hope so. But I have zero confidence in the deciders.

3. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

lol - and the 5 years previous to that one? Like it or not he was the most successful coach we've had in a long time. You often bring up Bruce and how much you hate him more than the Bruce apologists bring him up.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This is how I feel.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

How... wha... huh? I don't miss Pearl at all. I'm saying we haven't had good consistent point guard play in half a decade, which includes most of the Pearl period

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I was a little harsh with my comments last evening. Melvin Goins and 8th posters are owed an apology.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It was an entertaining read this morning at the office.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

maybe a little over the top, but our PG situation has absolutely sucked for nearly a decade.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

For real. We need to bring Bruce back so he can fix it.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Hat, you definitely were feelin' it. No harm, no foul.

Agree w/ your PG assessment / arguments.

As for BP, I personally do not harbor the disdain you have but understand how tiresome and wearing it must be dealing w/ the shows callers, emails, tweets, etc.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Hell, I was one of the leading advocates for Bruce on the previous forum and I'm tired of it. He's not coming back and, if he does, we are at a distinct disadvantage based upon how he went out.

Basketball is, in my opinion, easier to get a good coach without paying exorbitant prices than football. Offer to pay someone $500,000 less than Butch and watch what can happen.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I fear the current AD isn't that interested in basketball. I agree that an exceptional coach could be found if the money was right and the people making the list were competent.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I know this is late right now, but I'd love to have Bobby Maze on this team right now. He wasn't going to win a game for you, but he could competently bring the ball up the floor and passed relatively well. Good Trae blows him out of the water, but when Bad Trae shows up, somebody needs to step in and just be competent. Doesn't need to score 20. Just don't turn the ball over.

14. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Could not agree more Tar. That's what is missed so often. Just don't screw it up doing stupid crap.

Instead bad Trae and Zo's back-up PG's by committee pass it around the outside or try to drive straight into double teams. Then bad Trae goes right and jumps in the air 8-10 feet out for tear drop or a bad pass. Do Zo/staff not even think that the other teams have seen it a million times on film? When you are limited on talent you have to reinvent yourselves on offense several times a season to keep the opponents guessing. Instead Zo changes it once after they hit 11-10 from grind to a quicker, transition flow. But that took all of their will away to play D.

Not sure if he actually jives with this roster. Some stuff missing that better coaches have IMO. Not just related to recruiting. Not sure the players are going all out for him or even really understand what he is trying to accomplish on the floor. You don't see them actively discussing or giving much in the way of input on what's happening on the floor during time-outs or stoppage in play. Most just look around and nod at him some. Jordy tries to rally them and talk it through on occasion. Hopefully Maymon can take control with Jordy (if he's back) next season.

15. MWR

MWR Contributor

How about this?

16. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Is Shaka the one we go after if UT lays an egg....?

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I thought Shaka was a flash in the pan, but he's grown on me with some sustained success.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds right

19. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I feel like he's holding out for a better job than UT. Didn't he turn down some pretty good jobs already?

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

If UT is in the market for a new coach after next season, my hope is that we get someone near the top of Hat's realistic list.