The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How many homes are being paid with cash these days?

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They were paying people upwards of $85 dollars an hour to torque tires as the units came off the line. Of course the wage is based on piece rate which is why its so high but it was crazy money. Its always been an industry that pays well for the line workers but it got crazy high since they needed to ramp up and get units out which took bodies.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

But real estate is still popping hot...

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't know. I know the guy well enough to know he's pretty good at what he does and is a pretty honest guy, so I trust what he said. But it makes no sense to me. Just made me pause.

5. CardinalVol

Absurd. Wow.

6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Wild dynamic in the Big 4 right now. Higher than normal turnover due to hot labor market and less and less people going into accounting have created a pretty dire staffing situation. I could jump to another for a big pay bump but my group is adequately staffed because we’ve got a great culture so I can’t bring myself to pull the trigger.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It is. Now granted they don't always work 40 hours a week and have multiple week shutdowns for maintenance it's still damn good money. They all pretty well clear 6 figures which is very comfortable in that area. Hard work though.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

re-evaluate regularly. This situation doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast, but once it does it won't come around again for long while or ever.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we didn't have negative growth in the first quarter

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's definitely slowing down. a lot of the numbers that are coming out are lagging.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have a buddy who works for a mortgage company and he was telling me how he was reading books during work time. he was bragging about it, but all i was thinking is that doesn't sound great for your job prospects.

justingroves likes this.
  12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Everything that I read says Q1 was -1.4%

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

14. CardinalVol

Since every ******* person in CA is moving to TN, I can see how he's not doing much.

justingroves, IP and zehr27 like this.
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha. he works for a national company. i do know one person who moved to knoxville though.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

right because the economy isnt' actually contracting.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

But its not like that is something new. Its been done this way for a long time, correct?

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

My understanding was the mortgage industry has slowed significantly. A lot of builders just put through 100k price cuts to close out developments.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator