The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We have reclining Buddhas.

[​IMG]

CitrusCo.Vol likes this.
  2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

the big one in Bangkok has prints on his toes

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Soooo. Sale on Amazon next week?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Best week in 45 years

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sometimes i know a thing or two

zehr27 likes this.
  8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Not that you were calling the bottom (for now) on the 19th, but you were within 4 days of the bottom. Nice.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I have a head time thinking there's much more upside at this time. Feel like we should be trading sideways for the next several months.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

3 ways it can go, and none of them will matter in 30 years if I leave it in. So I leave it in.

NorrisAlan and justingroves like this.
  11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think the market is lower a month from now

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2 of those days were the weekend so 2 trading days

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Didn’t even pay attention, but way to spike the football :).

How concerned are you about a potential corporate credit crisis?

justingroves likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Marshawn Lynch riding the injury cart.gif

droski likes this.
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not very. Banks and corporations are very well capitalized

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I apologize if I am stating the obvious here. But I am in a weird dark place right now where I think that 2019 may be a long time high water mark for the global economy. It’s Great Depression time. Many, many people (like me) are not going to resume much extra consumption until there is a vaccine. A black hole has opened up in the service sector. Most small businesses (not just the weak ones or the restaurants) look to me like they will be wiped out because most of them are superfluous to people’s’ everyday lives. I still think the stock market gets cut in half this year and sticks there for awhile. I’m trying to figure out what to do with my measly investment. Maybe just stuff a mattress. A v-shaped recovery does not look in the least likely to me . People who are saying that the fundamentals are still good are kidding themselves. Social distancing is the new fundamental and it is terrible for economic activity.

As capital markets slowly implode, there won’t be any coming back. The govt can end the shutdown and encourage everyone to go back, but that does not change the underlying psychology that a deadly virus is out there. I know I don’t plan on flying on any planes, or attending any ballgames, or eating at Three Amigos etc. until there’s a vaccine. How is it worth it? Even if it is rational for everyone to go back to normal ( if we behaved as a herd) because there would be less death and devastation from the virus that from a 5+ year deep depression, no one would. Individually, it is not in my best interest to swipe my debit card for services that are superfluous. It’s potentially a prisoners dilemma. I honestly wonder if this is the calculation that China has made. Unlike us, they have the ability to suppress information if they believe it is in their best interest. An economy built on debt and services just can’t survive a pandemic in a world of instantly available media.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

market is already pricing in a major recession

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think the real question is going to be if this is changes consumers and the crazy consumption that Americans do on Shit that we really don’t need

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Highly doubtful that it does

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think they are pricing in 2008. I think it’s 2008 x 4. There is going to be a huge negative multiplier when 20% of the workforce is unable to produce. We’ve never seen anything like it at least since the 30s. There are real systemic issues with supply and demand that will take a long long time to heal.