The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

somehow i'm still paying $2.50 a gallon

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Tough, but fair.

The Dooz likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

So how does one buy oil futures right now?

kmf600 likes this.
  4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I always laughed at you guys for paying so much for gas, but while I was there, we never paid one toll. I guess it balances out, because if we want to get anywhere in less than 3 hours in Miami, we're paying 10 coconuts in tolls. Both ways. Not as bad as the northeast, but almost.

droski likes this.
  5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Contract roll is tomorrow and it seems the ETF was holding most of the prompt positions. Ouch.

6. CardinalVol

Yes or no, can one make a small fortune with the correct gamble right now?

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Your fault for living in Florida.

kmf600 likes this.
  8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah but recall the pool palm tree picture with his feet propped up that he posted.

kmf600 likes this.
  10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That can happen in states not named Florida.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[​IMG]

It's going to take a lot of time to get through this glut, but you could see a massive short cover if we get any positive economic news.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just seems like pretty much a given that eventually it gets back to at least $15. Might be 8 months or longer , but almost quadrupling in a year seems pretty nice. Am I missing something?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no, but the big problem is these etf's have a lot of tracking error: https://stockcharts.com/articles/ch...rrors---examples-for-uso-and-gld-uso-gld.html

i generally only buy them for short term investments.

you could just buy oil stocks of course

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Oil at $0. Tried to get my guy to buy 1 or 2 million barrels at that price

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you’d still make money sure, just not as much as you should

A-Smith likes this.
  19. TennTradition

Oh lawd yes.

You could get Brent - WTI spread for about $3/bbl a few weeks ago. If you bought that for the April contract, it will expire at $28ish. So, let's say 10x. And the trade was actually a pretty good gamble. Unless you thought the US was magically going to shut-in a ton of production while still having a good price (not happening) or the government was going to mandate cuts (they can't), then it wasn't going to get a lot more narrow. We put that trade on for 2Q (so this is the first expiration). I estimated we had approximately 33% downside with a realistic 500% upside. Never would have guessed that might be 1000%.

Playing basis right now is a high risk game most of the time, but that was an odd opportunity and didn't last long.

20. TennTradition

Yeah, I don't see any room for a good recovery until next year. We are going to put over a billion barrels of oil in inventory over the next 6 weeks. It will take time to draw that down and prices will stay muted until you get back to reasonable inventory levels.

If you believe in a V-shaped recovery, buy 2021 futures. If you believe in a U-shaped recovery, buy 2022 futures. It's one way to play it.

droski likes this.