The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Driving a car yourself anywhere is absolutely the worst mode of transportation there is and I would gladly entertain any possible way to never have to share the road with another human being ever again.

JudgmentVol likes this.
  2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What ultimately may be possible is one thing - but it seems to me that we are a very long way from safe full self driving

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed, and we are also a long way from safe human driving. It is about what we are willing to tolerate. One is normal, one is novel. We are uncomfortable with the idea of a glitch but accept a certain rate of drunk driving or distraction. We know, understand, and judge human error but do not understand or know how to judge errors in automation systems.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm not manufacturing a conflict, I'm trying to minimize cost while maximizing utility. If there is a one size fits all solution, that's better than two solutions.

And there will be a one size fits all solution, and the only argument against the one size fits all solution is... "speed." Which is a poor argument.

5. fl0at_

We aren't, though. The only thing at issue is "trust."

You trust other humans more than you trust a machine. Because you think you understand other humans.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've also watched terminator and Wall-E

7. fl0at_

Data and R2D2 think those two are silly.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh ya, speed in logistics/transportation. Awful argument...

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think we like having someone to directly blame or hold accountable, too. At least the option to blame. There is a feeling of helplessness or diminished worth, perhaps, when agency is once again made more remote and seemingly less the exclusive domain of humans.

10. fl0at_

It absolutely is, it's a greedy argument. It's saying that 80 mph one vehicle, no change is insufficient because you must go 200 mph. That's just a greedy argument. When you factor in having to change vehicles in between destination, it's an even worse greedy argument.

11. fl0at_

Blame, sure, but not accountability, not always. You still have blame. But when fatalities are ultimately reduced, it's just shouting into the wind.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

True. I'd just prefer my hands on the wheel.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Quite the opposite. Arguing that you need a personal vehicle that can go anywhere so any dollar spent towards a public vehicle that covers a well-travelled route quickly is wasted, is the greedy argument. I'm saying both can work together. You are saying no, only your way and any other perspective is wrong because you say so.

14. fl0at_

I think you missed the part where it was determined that personal vehicles were no longer practical, and there were plenty of public vehicles. And the reason for the other way being wrong was because it was two solutions, when one was workable.

And since the only argument for two solutions is "speed," that's the greedy argument.

It was the previous page, and you responded to it, but I'll post it for you three times:

1. and then how long before everyone realizes that nobody needs their own cars, and they become just public?
    2. and then how long before everyone realizes that nobody needs their own cars, and they become just public?
    3. and then how long before everyone realizes that nobody needs their own cars, and they become just public?

See it yet? Read it.. yet? Understand it... yet?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm talking about the vegas to LA one

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know about that one.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

it sounds like a bad idea, though. it would only support entertainment/tourism sectors. They should connect to a city/region that has a full economy

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

actually not true. that corridor has a shit ton of commercial traffic. tons of distribution facilities in nevada for southern california. traffic is pretty awful. environmental and political bullshit will stop it from being completed. i'm not saying it's a good idea either btw, but that's the rationale.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Not really. The machines are still horrible at detecting unexpected obstacles or adapting to altered traffic at construction in intersections, for example. Standing water and judging sage vs unsafe driving through water is an issue. The list goes on. And from talking to folks who research this area it sounds like these are some real hard problems to solve.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

But you do see that, ironically, these are areas where humans also fall short.