The (Unofficial) NBA Finals Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jun 11, 2012.

1. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I did too; I was just bringing up the fact that the earlier "block" on Battier that kept Durant in the game was bullshit.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think that works, Hat. Just compare Durant's 17 point 4th quarter in game 1 to Bron's 18 4th quarter points in 6 Finals games. However, that fadeaway bank shot that Bron hit tonight was very clutch and a great shot.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I actually agreed with that one too. Battier slid under him; it would have been bullshit to foul him out on that close of a call. Bron would have got that call 10/10 times as well.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Not at all. I'm simply holding all superstars to the same standard.

5. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Ehh...by the time Durant was there, if there was a "slide," it was about one baby step. I agree that it was close to 50-50, but that to me looked much closer to a missed call than the no-call at the end.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I make no apologies for the fact that I can't [uck fay]ing stand LeBron. With that said, dude gets so much unwarranted shit. I liked the no-call in that situation after seeing the replay for the 79th time.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't know why they decided to drive to the basket. Shoot a 3, take the lead and play defense. Or hold the ball for a do or die 3. That was perplexing to me.

8. hatvol96

If Durant doesn't miss a clean look at the end of Game Six against the Lakers two years ago, the Thunder would have had a shot at winning that series. If Durant doesn't get upstaged at the end of games by Dirk in the West finals last year, his team might have been in the Finals. See, if all
    anyone wants to do is focus on the great players' failures, you can shred anyone.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I can buy that. I think that when a player is still sliding under a guy while the offensive player is in the air, he shouldn't get the call even if he becomes set before contact. It's sliding under a guy to me. So, I was glad that it was a block, but it was definitely a bang-bang play.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Comes with the territory. I can't stand him, but most of the time I don't even care enough to argue the things concerning him. When you come into the league dubbed the second coming of the greatest player in recent memory, people are going to have a bullseye AND a microscope on him.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

The difference is that Durant doesn't go into a shell at crunch time. He's missed some game winners, sure. Bron, however, has simply disappeared over and over and over. He doesn't get criticized because he missed a shot. He gets criticized for being a no-show in crunch time. He scored 8 points in a Finals game last year. 8 points. You think Durant wouldn't catch some Hell if he put up 8 tonight? Sure he would have. Bron's a hell of a player that maybe gets too much criticism, but he's brought a lot of the attention and scrutiny on himself with the way he conducts himself and how he decided to go to Miami to create the "super-team."

12. hatvol96

If Lebron has no showed so many times, how has he been in the Finals three of the last six seasons?

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

He reserves his no shows for the Finals.

14. hatvol96

What way he conducts himself? Being one of the most charitable players in the league? Never getting in a single bit of off floor trouble? Showing up to play every time USA Basketball asks him?

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Most charitable players in the league?

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Holding nationally televised announcement programs to tell where he's going to "take his talents." And, proclaiming they're going to win 8 NBA Titles. When you say stupid shit like that, your play is going to be scrutinized big time, and you deserve it. I don't think he's a bad guy; in fact, he seems to be a pretty good guy.

17. hatvol96

I see. The only big games are the ones he doesn't play well in. Not like he singlehandedly beat the Pistons when he was in Cleveland, took out the team with the league's best record and embarrassed the MVP in last year's East finals, then extinguished the Celtics with little help this year. It's all about what he doesn't do.

18. hatvol96

You do realize that nationally televised announcement raised almost a million dollars for the Boys and Girls clubs, don't you? Why shouldn't he say he expects to win every year? That's why that group was assembled.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yes, he's done well until it's ring time. I don't think anyone disputes that.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't know enough about the NBA to evaluate him but Lebron has always struck me as an odd, if not unlovable, guy. Not Mark Fidrych odd, but maybe Donovan McNabb odd.