The (Unofficial) NBA Finals Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jun 11, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Took me a few years to see it, but it is true.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don't take issue with what he he did. I hated how they went about it, from the TV interview to they welcome party shit to the talking about how many titles they thought they could to the mocking of Dirk last year during the Finals last year. It just rubbed me the wrong way, so I don't root for him.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Wow, my iPhone [uck fay]ed that all up.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think it is more than racial bias. I'm not an NBA guy, but I don't recall the same backlash occurring when the Celtics put their superteam together or when Shaq and Kobe teamed up in LA.

I won't discharge the roll the media, or the organization, or the NBA had in the perception, but there seemed to be the attitude that, since the three amigos had decided to get together, the league should go ahead and mail the next 7 (?) trophies to South Beach. That's the kind of message that will inspire people to cheer for whoever you are playing, and while James wasn't solely responsible for that perception, he sure didn't help it any.

Pep rallies and press conferences and rings for future championships aside, I don't have any problem with LeBron leaving Cleveland for a better situation, but the aura around the thing feels dirty and entitled and rigged. It's easy to cast the Heat as the empire and James as Darth Vader.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

You nailed my sentiments. It isn't Lebron's fault that this sentiment was created, so it isn't that I root against him - but each year that Miami fails to win the championship makes me that much happier.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

How is it "dirty, entitled, and rigged" for Pat Riley to be smart enough to create the cap room to sign two star free agents and retain his own high profile player? How is it "dirty, entitled, and rigged" for Bosh and James to both leave millions of dollars on the table to play for a winner?

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Because his headband is gay and he's balding.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Don't knock the headband.

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Because its the first time two future HOF player have joined forces in their prime. Wait, that sounds like evey other team that's won a title since the leagues inception.

I would almost understand the backlash if the Heat just ass raped the entire league from the jump but that hasn't been the case.

I personally don't give a shit how the team was constructed, people can't reasonable expect two superstar athletes to tread in mediocrity in their primes in hope that their franchises land them someone who can actually help and no Mo Williams and Michael Beasley do not count.

10. cotton

I didn't say it was any of those things. I said it gave that impression, and I think the pep rally, the infomercial, and the announcement of all the future championships they were going to win contributed to that. I think the way it was handled has more to do with the negative reaction many people have to it more than any racial bias or plantation mentality.

That's the reason you see a lot more popular sentiment against the Heat than the two teams I mentioned, or the Fielder or Pujols moves in baseball, or any other situation where a premier athlete moves from a small market team to a major city contender to try to win a championship. Fans in that city might have chapped asses, but as a whole, the sports universe understands, at least until they have an hour long special announcing the move (regardless of who benefits) and guarantees 7 championships as a foregone conclusion.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

The 7 championships talk was in jest, had to be, There is a good chance that Wade isn't in the NBA in 7 years let alone a contributing piece to a dynasty. It was a pep rally and so he pandered to the crowd.

It amaze me how butt hurt ( not saying you are ) people get about that and the entire situation as a whole.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Never underestimate the tenderness of a person's backside.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between butthurt about the comments made and just not liking the guy.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Do you think people would like LeBron more had he chosen Chicago or New York instead of Miami? To me, some of it seems like he picked the one team no one (outside of Miami) wanted him to pick so he immediately became the villain.

15. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

At least the man knows how to eat a cut of meat.

16. cotton

There is.

It is sports. Everybody has some reason, and unless you have a kid playing or a financial stake in the outcome it is almost certainly invented, for liking or hating a player, a team, or a franchise. Miami makes a convenient enemy which suits me fine.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think the Thunder are in a lot of trouble. To me, tonight was their game to get in Miami, coming off a loss, being focused on taking home court back and the Heat likely feeling a little relaxed. They had this one, too, winning by 10 in the third quarter and they pissed it away very quickly with dumb fouls. I just don't see them having any success in Miami the next two games. I almost think they lost this series by laying that egg in the first quarter of Game 2.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I also think that Harden drew the charge on LeBron at the end, but it's not a call you'll usually get.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Not when it's LeBron driving the lane. I am not talking about this one game in particular or even this series, but the officiating has been suspect all throughout the playoffs.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I definitely think it's about more than LeBron being black, but I agree with the sentiment. He does get an unfair amount of criticism.

I agree that he doesn't owe Cleveland anything. He played there for seven years, which is seven years longer than most people would ever want to live there.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012