The WNBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NashVol11, Jul 23, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Basketball is still the worst by a large margin although soccer is catching up quickly.

2. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

In what way? Primary thing that comes to mind for me is pushing for charter flights, and that's not really because of the men. What does ending that comparison look like?

3. CardinalVol

Maybe I’m just embittered by being in Knoxville for too long and dealing with the crazies here, but too many people genuinely think top women’s teams would be competitive with men’s teams.

The ads on tv are similar except it’s a lay up instead of a dunk. And they aren’t the same. They try to push it as this exciting off season basketball league IMO.

It’s a niche sport. That’s fine. But it is what it is and it’s not what they want us to believe it is.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think the biggest thing was when Summit "passed" Wooden.

But for me, the biggest gripe is what you started doing earlier in the thread, throwing the "sexist" stuff around if I say anything bad about women's sports. I cannot stand that.

InVolNerable likes this.
  5. NashVol11

I get that, but IMO people still remember the men's leader first anyway (and not sure Wooden really deserved that record either given Sam Gilbert etc., but that's a separate conversation).

I threw that around initially to describe someone who bought multiple seats to bring PJs and a sleeping cap to the front row of a game. People just got weirdly defensive about it because they initially applauded the guy

Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
  6. NashVol11

Definitely fair, Lady Vol fans are something else and that matchup wouldn't be close.

I think it can grow (and is growing) into an exciting offseason basketball league, and there are plenty of very knowledgeable NBA voices that cover both, but it will be an important next few years especially with Clark entering the league.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

How much you pay for your Subaru? watch what you want to. I watch college lacrosse when nobody else here does. After seeing high level at field level, the speed of the game and physicality is impressive. Nothing ever has or will impress me in a womans basketball game. I don’t know how people do it.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Jesus Christ. Football season needs to hurry up and get here.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is misogyny if you buy a ticket for Courtside and bring a costume to mock them. It is not misogyny to just not be interested.

SetVol13, justingroves and NashVol11 like this.
  10. NashVol11

I watch college lacrosse too FWIW but not a ton until the tournament starts

11. NashVol11

There is a nonzero chance this thread is the same thing but with me, but hey, not so far. I’ll try to be nicer than Indy

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

meh

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He did go to Duke

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. NashVol11

Lot of Vols here disparaging their school’s most successful sport because women

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Okay

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

More power to em. Glad they have won. Awful sport.

17. NashVol11

Didn't hear much of this as the same people talked themselves into college baseball, but here we are

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Just so happens it’s miserable to watch, there are 50 jump balls per game, and they happen to be women. I’ll watch women ski, run track, play tennis, volleyball etc. Titans Gameday atmosphere and product sucks too. Are they women? it’s the product, not anti woman

19. CardinalVol

For the record I make more fun of MLS (at best AA soccer) die-hards than the WNBA. I don't get why people love it so much either.

20. NashVol11

The NFL/Titans threads here and on VN don't look like this though haha