Trump is GOP Nominee

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Dec 10, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes. A woman getting sexually assaulted by a stranger on the street is more likely to report it than a woman who gets sexually assaulted by someone she knows.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Women not in college are actually more likely to be sexually assaulted by someone they know.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

According to those who report sexual assaults. Which I'm saying is skewed towards non-college women. Don't take us in circles.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

By the way, the DOJ stats also say college women are twice as likely to not report a rape to police and are more likely to say they didn't report it because they thought it was a personal matter, and are more likely to say they didn't think it would do anything.

So I don't know why you are are arguing against the very report you are touting. You really think the above doesn't indicate that it is under-reported from that group? Okay.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

So women not in college are more likely to report sexual assault by someone they know than are women in college?

That's the conclusion?

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The study finds that they're less likely to be a victim at college. I do think the higher incidents that happen with alcohol and drug use muddies the water, but not to the degree that it makes it an epidemic that needs tackling.

If you're assaulted, go to the police and authorities to report it. Going around due process to tackle it isn't the answer.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Don't synthesize his posts. THey are meant to be read independently.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Read the study, Float. That is what the DOJ study itself said.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsavcaf9513.pdf

You guys are so busy trying to poke holes in what I say when I'm taking it from the same damn source 53 is.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsavcaf9513.pdf

You guys are so busy trying to poke holes in what I say when I'm taking it from the same damn source 53 is.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, the study isn't omnipotent. What the study's findings are inherently limited by who is willing to respond that they had been victims. Yet, there is a trend that even of those who report the were victims, less college women were reporting it to the police, etc etc.

What do you mean by "doesn't need tackling?"

If you don't like what universities are doing in regards to sexual assault, that's fine. Pretending like the issue of sexaul assault itself isn't much of a problem or is already addressed sufficiently undermines your argument, because the very source you are citing indicates otherwise.

Here's a another quote that you seem to ignore:

This isn't this black and white "Non-student women are more likely to be sexually assaulted" you are stating, and it says as much in the report. Further, the report itself is absolutely reliant on respondents who say they were victimized. It is impossible for this report to account for women who do not report it to police or the school or anyone. And yet this report finds that college women are LESS LIKELY to report these things in general, from the responses of the women in the damn study.

You're actually the one trying to push an agenda here. But you are utterly ignoring factors that damn your position:

1) Most women 18-24 attend college. Even if the percentages of those reporting to be victims used in this study are 100% accurate to the real number of victims (as in, every woman who has been victimized, even ones who didn't know it, reported it for this study), that means far more women are victims in college than not.

2) In a spatial sense, the size of campuses and campus-adjacent space is far smaller than "the rest of the [dadgum] country," thus making it reasonable to target the place where sexual assaults are most concentrated.

3) Minimizing sexual assault on campuses by saying "it's even worse off-campus" is insinuating there is no problem with sexual assault, it is just trial of passage for young women. I am sure you don't believe that, but it is not logically connected to your position regarding how universities investigate sexual assault and actually undermines the rationality of your position.

12. fl0at_

You said someone assaulted by a random on the street was more likely to report. But 53 said non students were more likely to assaulted by someone they knew. To which you replied for those assaults that were reported...

But if more likely to be reported by strangers... but higher non strangers... then it stands to reason that the higher numbers WERE reported. Because the higher number is the smallest reported.

I'm just trying to understand what you are saying. I see what the report says, and doubt the skew towards non students is enough to actually make a difference.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I say a woman out in the world (not on campus) who is assaulted is more likely to report.

53 responds with saying non-students are more likely to be attacked by someone they know.--- This is actually a non sequitur, as it in no way indicates non-students are not attacked by strangers. It doesn't even address what I said.

I respond by reminding him that he is citing the very report in which I am addressing as having a bias towards the off-campus reporting. --- I could have expounded by pointing out that women off-campus have less social pressure against reporting, but I thought that was understood.

Your questions, "So women not in college are more likely to report sexual assault by someone they know than are women in college? That's the conclusion?": It is in the report, of the women who responded to being victims it shows it was twice as likely for college women to NOT REPORT ASSAULT. It's right there. Further, it makes logical sense that of the victims who did not respond as victims when interviewed for the report similarly were more often college students than not because of that existing data showing they tend to report less often.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I say a woman out in the world (not on campus) who is assaulted is more likely to report.

53 responds with saying non-students are more likely to be attacked by someone they know.--- This is actually a non sequitur, as it in no way indicates non-students are not attacked by strangers. It doesn't even address what I said.

I respond by reminding him that he is citing the very report in which I am addressing as having a bias towards the off-campus reporting. --- I could have expounded by pointing out that women off-campus have less social pressure against reporting, but I thought that was understood.

Your questions, "So women not in college are more likely to report sexual assault by someone they know than are women in college? That's the conclusion?": It is in the report, of the women who responded to being victims it shows it was twice as likely for college women to NOT REPORT ASSAULT. It's right there. Further, it makes logical sense that of the victims who did not respond as victims when interviewed for the report similarly were more often college students than not because of that existing data showing they tend to report less often.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know why I double-post in this thread, but I'm tired of deleting them.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can you expand on this? Make a difference in what way? Because even if that report is a 100 % accurate photograph of reality, the way 53 is running with it is deeply flawed.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I always wondered how they accumulate data about things that aren't reported.

18. fl0at_

I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I'm not seeing twice as likely to not report. I'm seeing twice as likely to say it wasn't important enough to report. But that isn't the same as saying it went unreported.

For that, I'm seeing 80% to 67%.

From this:
    Rape and sexual assault victimizations of students (80%)
    were more likely than nonstudent victimizations (67%) to
    go unreported to police.
    „ About a quarter of student (26%) and nonstudent (23%)
    victims who did not report to police believed the incident
    was a personal matter, and 1 in 5 (20% each) stated a fear
    of reprisal.
    „ Student victims (12%) were more likely than nonstudent
    victims (5%) to state that the incident was not important
    enough to report.

19. fl0at_

Try logging out and logging back in.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

As far as not reporting, other studies like this one (https://www.aau.edu/uploadedFiles/A...y on Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct.pdf) find that as many as 3/4's of assaults on campus go unreported, which would mean they were excluded from the DOJ's study: