tvols75 Is Among The Biggest Dumbasses I've Encountered on a Message Board

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by LawVol13, Jun 20, 2012.

1. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I thought I read somewhere where the NCAA now makes adjustments to the APR for transfers, going pro, etc. as long as the student is in good academic standard when he or she leaves. Is this correct?

2. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Yes, they do make adjustments as well as give credit back if an athlete comes back for his degree. The problem is "good academic standing" is defined differently for players who stay in the program than those who leave for whatever reason.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Few random thoughts.

Anyone who doesn't think Saban cares how his students do in the classroom is fooling themselves. He may not care if they are graduating cum laude or valid victorian, but I guarantee if they are on the verge of losing eligibility he makes them aware he's not happy about it.

Keeping yourself eligible is part of the deal of being a collegiate athlete. (I refuse to use the phrase "student athlete" when referring to these guys.) If you can't do that, my guess is that you probably don't reach your full potential on the field either. There are exceptions (by all indication Dennis Rogan at least tried and couldn't and Jon Higgins just bit off too much one semester), but my guess is those are the outliers and not the rule.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They were near the top of the pac-12 in grad rate every year carroll was there. Many years #2 after Stanford. Cal btw has the 11th apr in the pac-12. Back when we were winning we were #2 regurally. I couldn't agree more that discipline on and off the field are the reason.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

What players of ours have been declared ineligible recently? I'm not even sure why we're talking about that.

Also, if the requirement is that the player must put forth the effort to pass, and by getting a 931 APR we passed, why is everybody in a stink about this?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

in 3 years if you are south on 930 you wont be elgible for post season play.

7. CardinalVol

Lanier is already ineligible. And we can just assume a lot more would have been for a bowl game had we made one with that awesome fall GPA.

Because it's 3rd worst in BCS conferences and I think only 12 FBS had worse. Also, sooner rather than later, the APR minimum for postseason play in football is going up to 930, which makes it much too close for effort.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Then good think Dooley won't be here in 3 years.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's either a 3 or 4 year average though and lots of dooley players will count in future years. particurally if the new coach blows out the dead wood.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So 1 guy out of 100? Seems to me like that's on the player. Should the coach hold them accountable? Yes. Should the coach hold their hand? No.

So, yeah let's just assume. That always works out well. I'm going to assume that if Dooley wasn't a moron, we'd have won 2 championships already. Should I notify the BCS?

Again, the comments have been made in here that the player should, at the very least, put forth the minimum effort to pass. Our score indicates that that is being done, then we become outraged at the score? Kind of a double standard there.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

These guys have round the clock tutors. They have football friendly majors. They should have coaches checking to make sure they are going to class. Failing in that situation means a) you don't give a shit at all or b) you literally can't read (and even then you might be able to pass). Lot's of guys failing means your coach doesn't give a shit. Obviously some guys will flunk out no matter what the coach does, but teh great majority want to stay eligible and play football. Someone just has to show them the road map.

12. CardinalVol

So I answer your question and that's not good enough? To be ineligible before summer classes start is pathetic by both his part and the coaching staff, mentors, Thornton center, etc.

Based on a 2.08 team GPA for the semester, I think it's quite safe to conclude that several would not have been able to participate in a bowl game.

There is no double standard for the score in that it's being held up by one good year and that we're darn near the line of being in trouble.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So, then he's given a shot to fix it beyond this year regardless or he complete [uck fay]s the shit out of it all the way around (more likely) and we end up were we would have been had he stayed beyond this year.

14. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

As I've said before, the easiest way to figure out what Dooley believes is to take what he says and assume he actually thinks and acts the opposite.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It's not a double standard. We're on the fringe of being penalized. Our fall semester Team GPA is 2.08; our football team sucks complete ass. When one looks at the APR rankings, the best teams in our conference are vastly higher than we are. People are saying that there's a correlation of sucking complete ass in the classroom and competing on the field. Our results bear that out.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Which is why I said its the coach's job to hold them accountable, not wipe their ass every step of the way.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The biggest travesty in all this is that Dooley is supposedly putting an emphasis on "recruiting high character guys" and also putting an emphasis on changing the culture in the classrooms for his boys to men shit. It's just another in a long line of broken promises and excuses with this guy. The sucking at everything he does is bad enough. But when you just flat out don't give a shit about things that you're portraying to the media and fans as important things, it's inexcusable. Which in the world of excuses that [ddiapos] lives in, that is hard to believe.

With all the assets available to athletes at UT and a coach that demands excellence rather than making excuses, there should NEVER be an issue like this. Ever.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Then why should just making the effort to pass be good enough?

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No one said Dooley should be taking notes for his players or holding their hands on the way to class.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not following your point.