US Soccer Using "Foreigners"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, Abby Wambach gives this interview yesterday:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/14381681/abby-wambach-blasts-jurgen-klinsmann-use-foreign-guys

And, not that I give a damn about Wambach (I find her quite annoying), but she brings up an issue festering in US soccer for a while now and that is the use of dual nationals. Players who grew up elsewhere, but were able to get a passport because their dad was American military (Jermaine Jones) or born in the U.S. for some reason (Aron Johansson). According to the critics, they aren't "real" Americans, won't play as hard for the shirt, etc., etc.

Personally, I find her comments, especially the way she expressed them, as complete bullshit. Getting into pissing matches about who is more American is pretty stupid in a country of immigrants and people with dual countries they root for, not to mention a dude like Jones fights the same or harder than any "real" American out there when playing for the US.

There's also this idea that it's discouraging to domestic Americans to see spots on the team go to guys who grew up in the systems of other countries. I give an even lesser shit for this excuse. You don't want your spot going to Jones, John Brooks, Fabian Johnson, etc.? Then, get better.

So, yeah, I don't give much of a damn about the comments she, and others, made about the requisite qualifications for acceptable placement on the national team. If you have a American passport, then you're American.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If a parent is an American, they were born here, or lived here since they were 20, they are an American.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

**** her.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You're not her type.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

You guys make some good points. I guess I'm cool with it.

As long as they aren't Muslim.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Play the best guys that you can find a way to call American.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I say we should just conquer Germany and be done with it

8. MWR

MWR Contributor

I have never watched any soccer, and I have lived a long and happy life.

9. Unimane

It could make you happier.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ridiculous. No sports fandom has made anyone happier for very long.

11. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

The coach isnt an American so why should the players be? Soccer is for ******s anyway.

12. Unimane

Well, it is the United States National Team, so....

And, the second statement is completely false.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

Never got the irrational soccer hate that forces people to go out of their way to express it

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They think it's some kind of original thought or joke.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Irrational?

16. JohnnyQuickkick

Irrational in the sense that some people go out of their way to drop in and criticize it. Don't like it? Fine. But why put so much effort into it?

17. JohnnyQuickkick

I mean, I don't like rasslin', but I'm not over in the rasslin' thread talking about how stupid it seems to me

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think it's a natural reaction to the many thousands of supposed Arsenal or Chelsea United fans that have emerged from nowhere in the last 5 years in this country and their general douchebagery

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's like asking why do people hate patriot or Red Sox fans

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You would if a bunch of people appeared out of nowhere with wwe shirts, said they were long term fans, and acted superior about it.