POLITICS Virginia a testing ground for 2020.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TheOrangeEmpire, Dec 20, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not a cop. I'm assuming you know or think not many, and thought it was rhetorical.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ah. So no guesstimate?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are great intellectual arguments as well regarding the volume of guns, gun ownership, and gun fatalities. This is why the gun lobby shut down gun research for more than a decade. So you could make this quip.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tools still work no matter who's shed they are from.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

But let's say every single one of them was illegally possessed. How does this favor "everything is fine as is" as a position? Or support a claim to "this is what a well-regulated militia meant"?

6. CardinalVol

Why won't you estimate IP? C'mon. You are a smart feller, you can take a stab at this.

7. CardinalVol

If every last one of them were illegally possessed, how would the current gun laws being proposed in VA help stop the problem?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe the reporting of stolen firearm, maybe puts a small dent in it. But how else?

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It got shut down because the research was being highjacked for political agendas.

It’s 30,000ish a year.

A few thousand due to violence once you strip away suicide, accidents, and justified violence.

You can also make a great intellectual arguments for having all the guns too. Not too hard to look at Hong Kong and Iran and see the true value.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because the *legally* possessed firearms don't tend to be as likely to be involved in these crimes. It's the opposite take of "if you illegalize guns, only criminals will have them." Well, what if there weren't a bunch of guns readily available at all times and in any number? What if it was all treated more like a car than like a lamp?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/murder...le-nationwide-murders-trend-lower-11546615178

One of the laws proposed in VA is a limit of one hand gun purchase a month per individual. This will keep people from being professional handgun mules to circumvent DC laws. For example. And it will rarely impact any law-abiding citizen. When it does, it will be more akin to a mild inconvenience.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why strip aside suicide and accidents? That sounds like a political agenda right there.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Let’s do London and Australia and see how that actually went

12. CardinalVol

Ah, so I lose my right to purchase firearms because of others crimes?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Because it’s been demonstrated that it doesn’t change from countries that don’t have gun ownership.

Men are good at punching that ticket, even if a gun isn’t available

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

No. You actually don't. You can buy any hand gun you like, every 30 days, or as many bolt action rifles as your heart desires.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

17. CardinalVol

Why am I limited? What if I do want to buy one a week? I'm not the bad guy. Why should I be punished.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Where has this been demonstrated? Peer-reviewed research finding the opposite of what you claim is what led to the banning of federal money on this kind of research: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/guns-and-suicide/

Because it became political to do research on firearms.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apples to apples: the murder rate is much lower in London. Now you're getting political, wanting to compare knife murder rates in a discussion about murder and guns.

20. CardinalVol

Also, you are talking about cutting off the supply of guns. If you are cutting off a supply, that means, well, geez.