Weirdness Surrounding The Basketball Program.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, May 7, 2013.

1. Vespid

Vespid Member

For me personally, Golden leaving is a big plus, addition by subtraction. Every other game he played like he was on another planet.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That guy wasn't playing Landry either iirc

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Which typically left him as the third best player last year? Maybe fourth? With no adequate replacement?

Plugging a modest 3-star non-PG recruit into a preseason top 25 squad and hoping for him to not miss a beat is lunacy. If there was something extenuating that has yet to come to light, then that's one thing. If it was out of Cuonzo's own volition, he doesn't deserve this season.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure we had any decent wins when he wasn't playing well. He was a very important part of the team. We are much, much worse off now.

5. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

He was atrocious on defense - but can see us being better - he was awful on offensive and couldn't get into the lane when an athletic guard was on him.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Yeah, they brought in a sophomore from Houston midseason and plugged him in ahead of Landry. Then the Houston guy left the program. Huntington screwed him over as much as anyone as far as I can tell (aside from his own lack of discernible D1 talent, I guess).

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

And 1

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This is utter stupidity.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't get the move.

I get Thompson is your guy and he's going to run the show, but why would you not want an experienced guy there as well?

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Saw talk on VQ that Cuonzo is going after Antonio Barton. I have no idea if there is any validity at all to it. But, I'll say this. You'd be a fool to run Trae Golden off if you didn't have one hell of a player to take his place.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Seriously I don't see how anybody who watched the team sans Golden thinks they're better off

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Serious question - despite Golden's shortcomings, what is most likely the reason that Cuonzo ran him off? Going after a better Ayer who can play next season? If so, who? If not, why run him off?

I sincerely have no idea, so I ask.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You should hang up and listen.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I hate to interrupt the conspiracies, but there's this:

"Don't have all of the specifics yet folks, but as I mentioned originally about Golden, I had heard some rumblings for a bit about Golden being in some sort of academic trouble.

After talking with some people with knowledge of the situation from the UT side this afternoon, I feel comfortable saying that his departure is related to academics and not related to playing time as has been suggested. Still doing some digging for details, but at this stage it looks to be definitely academically related, and my opinion would be that the decision was probably out of Martin's hands as it pertains to University guidelines for students."

15. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Didn't want him anyway

**TDCVOL** likes this.
  16. CardinalVol

Take your facts and reason and get out of here.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Well, that certainly changes my feelings about it.

18. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I don't buy the academic theory because #1 this would be Goldens first issue with it and there is opportunity in the summer ad #2 if it is an academic issue wouldn't that be something that would kill the ability to just transfer?.....unless JUCO?

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

maybe if it were academic dishonesty? that kind of shit can get you suspended. I caught a student plagiarizing once and she was toast for a semester.

20. CardinalVol

Academic fraud?