What Guns Do You Have?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by govols182, Dec 20, 2011.

1. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

The only difference, is that the pic has a schnabel forearm. Mine is actually a beavertail

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

People have gotten conditioned to be defensive in regards to owning a gun.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

They have, but for good reason. Much of society has made it a position which needs to be defended.

Jo, if I asked you why you had a vinyl collection for the kid to ransack, I think "Because I wanted to have a [uck fay]ing vinyl collection," would be completely appropriate.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Very true.

5. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

357 Glock

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm not addressing you as if you are an anti-gun zealot. And if you were, that would be your right. Just merely addressing the statements and attempting to address some of the objections/confusions of others in the same breath. I have full faith that you can understand, and maybe even relate to such.

As to being a responsible gun owner, this is true. But no more so than being a responsible driver, home owner, cook, parent, etc. The idea that a gun owner must be held to a higher standard is lacking. Gun owners themselves typically hold themselves to a higher level of responsibility, but demanding that they do so does not hold the same equally across the board.

We do not seek laws that require breathalyzers for bar patrons prior to getting in their vehicle, but we seek laws to prevent gun owners from having a beer and carrying a firearm. We claim that guns and alcohol do not mix, but we don't limit the number of parking spaces in front of bars. We, as a society, tend to believe that those who own firearms must be held to a set of standards higher than everyone else in society, but make allowances for those who carry weapons for work; police officers, certain members of the military during certain events, off duty and retired law enforcement and the like.

So again, we often hold ourselves to a higher standard, but society should not demand that we do. We have no more of an obligation to stick within the lines of the law than anyone else. So yes, being a responsible gun owner is often the first thing taught, just like being a responsible driver is often the first thing taught in drivers ed.

It is a harmless question, and I don't consider you to be someone who would attempt an intellectual trap. If you would like to, though, I imagine there are more than a few articulate persons here who would give a rather good natured debate on the subject.

And to answer your curiosity, I gave you a list of my weapons and their purpose. At the same time, I think cotton is spot on. I own guns because I want to own guns. That those guns have a purpose does not matter. I own a SUV because I want to own a SUV. It also serves the purpose of allowing me to carry around a lot of wood and drywall from Lowes. But I own the SUV because I want to, not because I tote around a lot of lumber every day.

As to the militia concept, raised earlier, I'll address as quickly as able. The idea that gun owners own guns to keep the government in check is not actually as antiquated as many might believe. The concept of militia was never to rise up against the government, or even take on the government head on. I have often heard the argument that there is no way a bunch of gun owners can fight the US military. This is an absolute fact. However, the logic behind it is flawed. The idea of the militia is to support the military, not fight the military. And in the event that such an outcome takes place, you can bet there will be division among the ranks. The militia is designed to augment that division, not take on the full force of the military.

As to owning one and wanting another, sure. I owned several as a kid, and wanted a handgun and a carry permit when I turned 21. I got both. My next carry weapon wasn't just because I wanted another carry gun, it was because I wanted to slim down. I am short and skinny; it is hard as shit to carry a full frame handgun in the summer. So I needed another, and I got the one I wanted. That went hand and hand.

I have almost no need for anymore handguns, but I will purchase a 1911 based .45 before it is all said and done. Mainly because I want one, but also because it will serve a purpose. If I had infinite money, I wouldn't have infinite guns, but I'd have the ones I wanted that would serve a purpose. With maybe one or two exceptions.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Guns -- like a lot of material possessions -- have qualities to them that are both utilitarian and intrinsic. Teasing that out might give credence for folks that want to defend guns or a gun culture on a scale greater than just legalistic one, i.e., the "rights" to gun ownership. I'm not arguing every gun has a purpose; I was trying to decipher why some guns are more appealing than others and in turn make sense of something I don't know much about.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm just wishing LG would find this site and this thread now.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I own several guns that have strictly utilitarian purpose--shotguns suitable for quail and dove hunting, rifles for big game, a couple of handguns for protection of person and property. I own a few with collector's value, but I own them because I appreciate the artistry, craftsmanship, and rarity that makes them valuable; it would take a pretty dire financial circumstance for me to sell them. I own a couple of guns because they are fun to shoot. I own a couple of guns because they were given to me as a kid and they have sentimental value. I have a couple of guns that I have no reason for owning other than that at one time or another I wanted them.

10. punkcat

punkcat Member

Where to start? Let's see:

Rifles
    Ruger M77 in 308
    TC Encore in 308 and 223
    Remington 742 Carbine in 308
    Marlin 336 in 35 Rem

Shotguns
    Mossberg 9200 in 12 Ga
    Mosberg 935 in 12 Ga.
    Remington 870 Express in 20 Ga.
    Remington 870 Super Mag in 12 Ga.

Hanguns
    Glock 21 (for work)
    Glock 23 (backup)
    Glock 27 (backup)
    SW 686 in 357
    SW snub in 38

Fun guns
    Colt AR
    Bushmaster AR
    Customized Ruger Mini 14
    Norinco SKS

can't count the 22's and the hand-me-downs.

2 Browning Sweet Sixteen's

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Belgium or Japanese?

12. fl0at_

How do you like the Encore, and how does it shoot?

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I can see that being the hook for me. Seeing hand-crafted work like that is impressive. I spent about three or four years buying pocket knives for this very reason.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You need to buy some of my handcrafted pens made from exotic wood. :)

(Shameless plug, I know)

15. punkcat

punkcat Member

Both Belgium My dad bought his in the late 60s I have seen them priced at 1500 but no way I could sell them.

16. punkcat

punkcat Member

It's sweet. 26 inch heavy bbl. Some say they ain't accurate but mine is zeroed at 300

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't blame you. I want one

18. fl0at_

I actually do want one of your pens. PM me a price/options list, and what type of ink reloads it uses.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Will do after the Christmas rat race is over. I have all kinds of options. They will use a Cross or Parker refill.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Shotguns: Remington 1200 20 ga early '60s
    Savage 20ga/.22 over/under 1960 model
    Stevens single shot 12ga vintage unknown
    Remington 1100 12ga

Rifles: Remington 30.06 semi auto late '50s
    Winchester 30/30 lever action
    Marlin .22 bolt action
    M-1 carbine
    Remington .22 Target Master late '50s
    Remington military 30.06 bolt action