What Was The Reason

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Steve C., Feb 29, 2012.

1. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Send them to Jersey.

Kidding.

Like I said, I was being dense. Apologies.

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I rather enjoy nyc, fwiw, gbo.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Fun to visit, would never want to live there.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just got back from NYC Tuesday night. Had a great trip, I can see why it is so well-loved. I love space and nature too much to live there, but it is definitely a jewel in America's crown.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I want to live in LA. LA>NYC

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

uh oh.

7. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Did you see the places I told you about (specifically the big orange construction project)?

8. CardinalVol

I haven't been to many, but pretty much the only major US city I've not been a fan of at all is Philly. Pretty much sucks all the way around.

9. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Comcast Center is 975 feet of nice.

10. CardinalVol

Went in it and ate lunch there (was working about a block away). It's neat, but doesn't make up for the fact that the rest of the city sucks.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Disagree. There are museums there with excellent steps up which one can run.

12. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Haha. Nice. Can we start calling this the Ax Effect? It seems to be permeating the board.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've for known for a while where prepositions go at.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Philly is a great city. It is last affordable East coast city with all the accoutrements (sports, museums, colleges, food, nightlife) one would want. Very underrated and affordable golfing city too. And yes, I am partial. I lived there.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nah. I was around Central Park, went down through Times Square and all that, down to the WTC memorial and the Freedom Tower, visited friends in the East Village, walked around Brooklyn (and had awesome pizza), and ate some good Italian in Midtown.

And the bar scene is amazing. Like none other.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I love NYC and Boston, equally (possible to do, depending on what you're looking for), allthough I've only visited each a few times.

I was in Philly for 3-4 months and liked it, for the most part, but it's no NYC or Boston.

Lived in a Whale's Vagina (excuse my Spanish) for 6 months and enjoyed it about as much as Philly, but for polar opposite reasons, as you'd expect. The few jaunts I made up north to LA, and once subsequently since, left me overwhelmingly underwhelmed, at best. I just didn't see the allure. But its undoubtedly appealing to a great many people, as it's home to roughly every 6th human born on earth.

I could live in NYC / Boston / Philly / LA or the like, if I has to, and for no more than 5 years.

But my favorite all-around city is probably DC. I could easily live there for several years.

To the point of this thread - while NYC must be the capital of the world (or what else is?)....its not the end all, be all that some believe it to be. It's better than most other larger cities (and even that is only my opinion), but not appreciably so, in all areas.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like most places I've spent some time. NYC more than Boston. I like NYC the more I visit and Boston I like less every time I visit. (Sorry TT). Chicago trumps them all minus Philly, but I have emotional attachment to it. I think what sets Philadelphia apart for me is that it is one of the last big cities that hasn't been ruined by outsiders. It is still very small-townish, lots of neat neighborhoods, and an accent that is one of the most distinct in the country. It is what also makes the city clannish, insular, and, I dunno, ornery.

I am not a "West Coast guy" but Seattle takes the cake if we are talking the left coast.

EDIT: And how could I forget the most wonderful place on Earth... Las Vegas.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I imagine if you are Japanese, Tokyo is the shit above all shits.

19. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I live in DC and consider it a poor man's NYC. What do you like about it?

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The museums, the history, i liked the surrounding neighborhoods - they had a Greenwich Village vibe - but seemingly, with app. 82% less hippie. Of course, this is what I saw of them, and understanding that there are some ghettos that make Watts look like Walton Mountain. I liked that it felt like there was always something to do / see / happening - but not in an almost overwhelming way that you can get in NYC (i.e. what the [uck fay] to do first, next, etc.), but seemed to have more sites / things to see / do than Boston (sorry, again, TT). I didn't mind Arllington, either, really.

I'd like being able to get to Baltimore / Philly / Annapolis (it's a fun little city to spend a day) / Richmond in an easy drive.

When I was stationed in Norfolk, my friends and I used to drive up and just stay the weekend from time to time. And later, I had a friend who attend law school at Georgetown, and used to visit. He has since graduated and lives in Jersey and still misses DC.

Admittedly, I've only visited - it would likely be a completely different animal to live there - but of all of the large cities on the East Coast, it's the one I'd probably feel most comfortable living in for an extended period of time.

What do you think, kid? Do you hate it? Where were you coming from when you moved there?