What woman should they put on the 10 dollar bill?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by A-Smith, Jun 18, 2015.

1. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Your gut would be right. The French were humilated and sought redemption but just as well could have stayed out it, awaiting another opportunity to present itself. There was a certain approach needed and Franklin unequaled in ability, tact and diplomacy mastered it. The fact that his accomplishments, reputation preceded him (to Paris) helped the matter.

Worth noting they're contibution ultimately led to their own (French) revolution.

2. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yep, to add, he was integral in negotiating the Treaty of Paris having to soothe ruffled (French commission) feathers following his meeting and securing a separate treaty with the British commission

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think Franklin has always been a little overrated. He tried for years to sell the French on the war, but the French were itching to deal their bitter enemies a blow and were, ultimately, convinced by the Colonists' victory at Saratoga as much as anything. They were well aware of the implications of the revolution in America and there was popular support for invovlement by the French, though Franklin was a very popular figure in the Paris courts. Hell, I would argue that Vergennes, thr French Foreiggn Minister was more important than Franklin in bringing the French into the war. I think Franklin is one of the more overrated Founding Fathers and agree with Adams that Franklin's role would be inflated by future generations.

As a side note, I heard an interesting theory that Adams action in leaving the office of the presidency at the end of his first term may have been the most important in maintaining our existence as a republic. The reasoning states that Adams established the smooth transition of power because he willingly left office despite the fact that he still wanted the power of the presidency, unlike Washington, who walked away not wanting to be president anymore (Though, Washington's refusal to take power as the Commander-in-Chief following the Revolution is as important, maybe more, than Adams'). Unwillingly giving up power was just something that wasn't done in those days. You died or someone came with their army to kick you out of your seat as head of state. Adhering to the vote of "the people" and stepping down as a result, was totally anathema to the poltical conscousness of the period, cementing the American Experiment to be in full effect.

Anyway, to me, Hamilton is a severely underrated Founding Father, along with James Madison and Thomas Paine, creating a ton of our government structures in Washington's early cabinet. He's, also, clearly the most important early figure in terms of setting up our monetary structure, so it would make more sense to hav him on our currency than most any other person, include Franklin. I'd have any of those guys over Franklin on the currency, even though Franklin's rock star persona, as it was then, shines bright through modern times.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Overrated? Foolish talk. You underestimate to a fault Franklin

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I'm in this camp.

Franklin was a major player.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. Washington
    2. Jefferson
    3a. Adams
    3b. Franklin
    5. Hamilton

IMO

7. OrangeEmpire

I'm a Washinton apologist, he's in his own stratosphere.

:hi:

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He was basically a over-ambitious arrogant screw up who was able for less to stick to him than Clinton that finally calmed down later in life. Granted, he was the backbone and probably the entire skeletal system of the country's founding.

9. OrangeEmpire

The fact that he is human is his greatest quality.

10. OrangeEmpire

Washington is the definition of the American dream.

He screwed up continually and got his ass handed to him.

Kept on chugging and did something that he will be remembered for eternity.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Ben Franklin off? Are you insane. He did as much or more for the founding of this country than anyone else. Don't be down on a brother because he hated politicians.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Ksush make anyone's list? With James Banks' member?

13. OrangeEmpire

Hahahahahaha

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

MissKsusha ‏@MissKsusha · Jun 14
    Some #rightwing #nutjob wants to #deport all immigration lawyers. If that's how it goes down, deport me to #Fiji please. #thankyouinadvance

MissKsusha ‏@MissKsusha · Jun 13
    If a man loves you, he will sing it from the rooftops. If you're not on his social media you're temporary fun/dispensable.

MissKsusha ‏@MissKsusha · Jun 8
    When most guys your age look too old. #thestruggle thanks for the great genes, mom!

MissKsusha ‏@MissKsusha · May 4
    The secret to getting and KEEPING a man at the top of his game is being at the top of yours.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

MissKsusha ‏@MissKsusha · May 2
    Some people only see what they choose to see. Being able to see and accept truth is a sign of true maturity.

16. OrangeEmpire

Is her mom jacked up like she is?

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the person giving social media man advice is the exact person one shouldn't take advice from.

18. OrangeEmpire

She's a real life Joy Turner

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

She should probably do some reflecting on why those great youth genes have failed to land her a man.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's pretty hilarious given the fact she has never been able to hold a man. remember you and I giving her shit about how she kept talking about how perfect her boyfriend was? well that guy later cheated on her.