why you're wrong about communism...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by snoball5278, Feb 4, 2014.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Umm, after reading this, maybe I'm a hippie. That, or I'm just poor.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Poor Hippie.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I strongly disagree with this assessment. They all have to cooperate rather than acting only on their personal needs, yes. Not the same as robots.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes. Put compassion for others and your environment before yourself. Doesn't mean you have to have a North Korea.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You might also be a Buddhist ;)

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I agree with all of this completely and unquestionably.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Off to the sulfur mines.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yet the star fleet officers still receive "credits" and have pensions.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

And there are federation mining companies. What of it? People are motivated by money (and not necessarily the officers) but not driven by it exclusively.

Further, everyone on Earth receives food, basic housing, and clothing by default. The credits/money stuff is for luxury and entertainment. Hell, Sisko's dad runs a restaurant that doesn't charge money.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No one is currently driven by money exclusively. Kirk bought a cabin on a river with dozens of acres of land. Doubt the ensign can afford that. Basically they can state all they want about not caring about money, but couldn't figure out how to invent a realistic world where it didn't matter.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Depends on the planet.

By the way, if you want to start tearing down trek, this is going to get ugly. I will eat your children kind of ugly.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Friggen Trekies.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was always a Star Wars guy. Give me a blaster, a ship, and credits to be made on the Outer Rim and I'm ready to roll.

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Soccer, we're all doomed!

15. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Sisko's dad ordered an assassination attempt on the president of the federation and carried out a successful assassination of the Klingon chancellor .

Love me some memory loss rehab

:)

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I love Star Trek, but basically rodenberrys utopia was blown up completely by the end of the original series. The writers realized it was bullshit. No poverty, everyone is fed, but wealth differences existed in spades on earth. Kirk had what would be today a 3 mil condo in San Francisco. I doubt the unemployed person is living there.

17. OrangeEmpire

I like the science and exploration of Star Trek

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it's too much like my real life

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is an entire galaxy out there. Most humans didn't even live on Earth. Most humans had never BEEN to Earth. Comparing real world real estate to that of a space fiction is obviously flawed.

20. OrangeEmpire

Your sexing partner is green?