why you're wrong about communism...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by snoball5278, Feb 4, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Call it dollar signs or call it the bigger suite on the enterprise, whatever you want, but society is driven by people wanting to make their and their family"s life better. Take away that incentive and society falls apart.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Society has fallen apart for those who don't make it. And it isn't necessarily because they are lazy.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've never denied people can be stupid too.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

A bigger suite on the Enterprise? The Federation is run with a military structure, and higher ranks do have more perks. That isn't an indictment on the organization and functioning of the private society. You could say the same for every "communist" country on Earth with a military.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Why you no make sense?

"Oh my God I'm stuck between the competing pressures of making a choice as to whether to go to the Wizards game this weekend or see that show at the 930 Club my buddy has an extra ticket for? And then if go to the 930 Club will I drink beer or vodka-soda? But if I decide to go to the basketball game how will I get there? I could drive but parking's terrible, and I don't wanna drive drunk home. I could take the metro? No no, it runs so infrequently in the evenings. Maybe I'll just take a cab. No, but those cab drivers always drive so slow and they take the wrong route just so the meter runs them up a few extra bucks, and that will just annoy me and I won't be fun to hang around. Oh. My. God. I'm so stressed out, and exhausted and lonely and my life lacks meaning."

Stated differently....

"Dear Jesse Myerson: shut the funk up, and learn to write articles that aren't focking retarded, ya focking pansy."

[video=youtube;X6WHBO_Qc-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q[/video]

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think it was Lenin that viewed individualism as a social obstacle.

7. kidbourbon

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Tribalism has been the majority rule for human history, but we've always progressed and improved the most under societies that value the individual over the collective.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Data worked in private society and has a ****ing butler. Why provide perks for higher ranks if no one cares about material possessions anymore? Shouldn't he be just as happy living with the little people?

11. kidbourbon

Tribalism valued the individual as well. The Alpha Male who impregnated every female in the tribe, and then did a rinse, lather, repeat 9 months later....he was a high value individual.

12. kidbourbon

Knew someone would get it.

13. kidbourbon

I think ambition has to be viewed as a talent in and of itself. The brightest guys aren't always the most successful, and some are miserable wastes of space. Really hard workers usually are successful so long as they aren't just full blown focking lobotomy stupid.

14. kidbourbon

Good luck with that. And that's sort of just a nice way of saying that what you wrote above is pretty silly.

15. kidbourbon

I disagree. Observe a bunch of four and five year olds playing with each other. When the bold kid takes the meek kid's toy truck, it's because he wanted to play with the truck, and he saw nothing preventing him from taking the truck, and so he took the truck. That's not cultural momentum. That's our nature.

16. kidbourbon

The "ask not what your country" guy was in a position to utter that phrase with a nation listening because of a "what's in it for me" mindset. Or two (Joe).

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

nah. it's all luck.

18. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-those-who-have-prospered-and-profited-from-life-s-lottery-have-a-moral-obligation-to-share-their-[penis]-gephardt-69896.jpg

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

So [penis] backed out of his retirement package and spread it around?