Worley Named Starter.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LawVol13, Aug 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think that has anything at all to do with it. It's a staff that realizes Worley sucks.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

On the one hand, you don't want to ruin a freshman's confidence against Oregon and Florida. On the other hand, you don't want to lead the team on a Dooley-esque suicide mission. I'm not sure what to think about this. I just hope a freshman has passed him by the USA game.

3. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Then they would start a freshman if they didn't want a Ferguson or Dobbs go out, get pulled early, and struggle to recover. Some coaches look at the big picture. Its going to be ugly, so don't lose a young qb in the process.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think I was confused about what you were meaning. I thought you meant that they delayed naming Worley to simply pretend that the freshmen were in the battle to keep their confidence up. I agree they don't want them playing against UF or Oregon.

5. limpleg

Plus they may feel a freshman off the bench would play loose because there would be no time to think. Name a freshman the starter, and UT football is on his shoulders. Thats too much for a lot of freshmen to have on their minds.
    I'm just bringing up possibilities.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If the frosh is better you play him. Better to know what type of guy you have early.

7. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I don't know. I definitely think there's a right and a wrong time to break in a freshman.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Didn't Peyton manning break his cherry against ucla on the road?

9. Hobock

Hobock New Member

Butch will test Worley's arm, leadership & accuracy for two games. If he still can't throw a 15 yd. out, he's done before kickoff of the Oregon game. Peterman finishes out the season. If Fergie sees the field, at all this year, he's either the man until his career is over, or we have mailed it in.

All of the scenarios henge on one thing...our ability to run the football.

10. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

They have to play USA too? ****.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I think you guys are overestimating the freshmen. If it was close, they would be starting. The fact that they aren't just means that we will most likely be recruiting over them.

12. limpleg

I don't think of it that way. I think if it's close, you go with game experience and the player that is used to college game speed. If a freshman stands out, you start them.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

he might have gotten snaps, but it took 2 guys getting hurt before manning was the starter.

14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

They have two relatively easy games to get acclimated to the speed of the college game. It's not like they're going to suddenly get used to the college game a month in and with a cupcake game then a murderers row of UGA, Alabama, and USC. Get them acclimated the first two weeks, baptism of fire, and then a break and you get UGA and USC at home with a QB who has been in two of the most intimidating atmospheres in college football and has full expectations of his role in the offense, his limitations and how to manage the game. Then when Auburn comes calling, they've taken their lumps, and handled every atmosphere imaginable and can take on the rest of the schedule.

15. limpleg

I understand that view as well. I just think you risk having to bench the freshman qb you choose to start at Oregon and who knows how an 18 yr old kid will respond. Not every qb is wired like Peyton to mentally get through adversity. Ask Ainge. He was never the same after Sanders called the brilliant Hail Mary from our own 30 that no olinemen knew about.

16. limpleg

Jerry Colquitt I believe.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

And Todd Helton. Manning's first start was at home against Washington St. I can't find a box of the UCLA game anywhere. I'm pretty sure he got into it for a few snaps.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think if it's close you go with ceiling. Period . And from all accounts it was close. So I think Butch screwed this up unless he has some kind of machiavellian plan, as JT5 suggested-- especially with the 1.5 cupcakes coming up in the first two weeks. Since all 3 of the others were considered to be FBS starting caliber. Odds are that one of them has a significantly higher ceinling than JW who will never be much better than the middle Clausen.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

3 snaps. 3 handoffs. Took over when Helton went down 3 games later.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Manning had a series or two. I have long had my suspicions that Helton's injury was not overly severe, and he was protecting himself for baseball. I don't think the coaches minded as quickly as Manning was coming along. Of course, the team looked better after he was inserted.