Your Favorite Television Shows

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Oct 20, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

You might have the worst collective taste in television programs I have ever heard of.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Now, tv shows throughout my life that I watched were:

GI Joe and Ghostbusters and Dukes of Hazzard

Then:

Simpsons, Married with children, King of the Hill, Futurama, South Park and Chappelle

Now:

Not much, Breaking Bad, The Office, Parks and Rec and Better Call Saul

Taboo was good too

Netflix shows are good too, especially Daredevil

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

At least Doctor Who is in there.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Same.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nail in the coffin.

6. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Now I watched those to but it was "favorites"...If I missed an episode of any of those I didn't care.

7. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Yeah but its probably due for another hiatus. I think they spend too much time thinking about how to work some gay material into the episode and less on the actual story. Its ham fisted and awkward, especially, when I am trying to watch it with my kids.

No offense to you but if they make the Doctor a female I am done. And if he becomes gay or trans-gender I am out with that too.

Terry Nation was the best writer. I think Davies and Moffatt have jumped the shark.

Have you see the Blake 7 series?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

To be clear, you are objecting to a fictional Time Lord ever inhabiting anything but a male body, and ever displaying attraction to a male under any circumstances? This fictional alien? Did you ever watch Deep Space Nine? The Dax symbiote was in both male and female bodies. And then the male chief engineer of Enterprise got pregnant in the first season (not on purpose).

I think the point of science fiction and fantasy is to play with ideas that bend or break the rules of our world. I'm not really sure how one could justify being upset with an alien not conforming to bimodal gender roles that are not absolutely adhered to in the real world...

To each their own though. I find Dr. Who too campy and boring, but I haven't given it a huge chance either.

EDIT: Riker got with a "genderless" species in season 5 of TNG too.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Everyone knows females are called nurses, and DC isn't down with "Nurse Who."

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just curious what country he lives in. The USA has a lot of people in it, and some of them don't conform to man/woman stereotypes or heterosexuality. Part of being an adult is understanding that people are different and we shouldn't punish each other for it. Same with Time Lords.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He's a ****ing troll. The sooner he is banned, quits posting, or gets hit by a train the better off we will all be around here.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Interesting mix. If we were cellmates, I'd file my toothbrush down to a needle point and stab you in the neck.

13. gcbvol

No worries. I'm not easily offended nor am I female. Not familiar with Blake 7 but I do love science fiction and British productions.

14. gcbvol

It's a bit of an acquired taste. I understand why a lot of folks don't care for it.

15. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I found DSN boring for the most part. The episodes when they had the defiant were entertaining. I never got into anything past NG. I did watch a few episodes of Voyager but just couldnt get into it. Oh and I thought the captain Janeway was the best captain since Kirk. But Mulgrew couldnt carry the whole show alone. I always felt Picard was a bit of a wimp.

As for Dax...well this is the only one I cared about :)

[​IMG]

But the problem with the current Who is the companion. They already had a bisexual in captain jack but it was subtle and toned down. They had a female alien married to a human female so its not a true analog. The Master has regenerated as a female named Missy and her character is very well played.

But now they bring in a companion and make her a lesbian named Bill. They cast the homeliest companion since "Donna Noble" and she constantly finds herself the object of male attention. I think she is the homeliest of all time. LOL not in a trillion years would she be hit upon by these blokes. She is fighting off this unwanted attention and telling the "boys" that she is into girls. Its poor writing, bad casting, and a ham fisted attempt at promoting homosexuality.

This thankfully is Capaldis last season and his tenure is the worst since Colin Baker. I dont really blame him as he is a better actor than Colin Baker but the writing has been poor and the persona they created for this version just isn't charismatic/compelling at all.

As for being upset with breaking the bimodal gender roles LOL. That would not be an issue if I was the only one watching it. Its the fact I am trying to watch this with my kids who I am raising to understand that God created marriage to be between one man and one woman. I really dont care what two or more people do in the privacy of their home. I do care what they do in public around my children or the messages/endorsement society/government sends to them about right and wrong.

16. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

So they let you post death threats from your prison computer? :)

17. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I might relent if they find the female version of Errol Flynn or bring on Dame Judi Dench but she is getting to be really old.

18. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

This is a good place to segway into the question: What do you think of the idea of Idris Elba becoming Bond?

I am opposed to him being James Bond but not 007. Bond is the current 007 but that doesn't mean he couldn't retire and be replaced by another agent taking on that position.

I thought a good transition would be for Bond to become an M and to have Elbas character be 008 and go on a mission together.

Later 007 could then become whoever they want him or her to be with an appropriate name change. They could even kill off a few now and then while leaving "Bond" and his persona as he is in the lore.

The possibilities are endless.

19. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

It's comical to me that you have such little faith in your self-described "truth" as to think the teachings to your children would be shattered by the mere presence of opposing thought.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's kind of the opposite of what I've been taught