11 Dallas Cops shot at protest

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Beechervol, Jul 7, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

To put this shooting on BLM or the peaceful protesters is not fair and plays exactly into the hands of extremists who want to see us all become polarized.

The protests are in part concerning a biased and corrupt justice system. It was not shocking that those involved were "exonerated." And the cops involved with Freddy Gray's ride are "exonerated." And I'm sure the Baton Rouge and Minnesota cops will be "exonerated."

Murder is murder. Does a human being's life matter or doesn't it? That's really all there is to this. I believe it does, blue, black, white, brown, or whatever. I do not think people should be able to shoot cops, shoot unarmed black men, brutalize and detain black women for a minor traffic violation to the point that they "suicide," etc. I will not justify the use of unilateral deadly force.

If you want to make this into an Obama/BLM thing, I can't stop you. It won't lead anywhere good or anywhere honest though. How Obama is being blamed in this stuff is unfathomable. Do we just always need someone to be the bad guy?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't doubt that you (or anyone else) hears this all the time, and don't intend to infer otherwise. Second, I'd also like to say from the outset that even a single wrongful death at the hands of law enforcement is one too many, and when and where these occur, they should be both fully and thoroughly scrutinized, and where wrongdoing is found, fully and vigorously prosecuted to the outer limit extremes as allowed by law. We place a tremendous amount of automatic and intrinsic trust in bestowing sizably important authority on law enforcement - and in the overwhelmingly vast instances, quite rightfully so - but such should always be meted with a similar responsibility to act with equitable fairness in all instances, and to all whom they swear to serve and protect.

That being said (I'm certain that I've missed something and am about to trigger our resident SJW's, however painstakingly I have tried to avoid it):

What do the statistics say about black people being killed? How many black people are being killed as a result of law enforcement, and how many as a result of black-on-black crime? Do statistics for this exist? Legit question.

My blind-assed guess is that more - probably significantly more - black deaths occur from black-on-black crime, than from law enforcement. And yet, I've not seen a single protest or march, either locally or which was covered by any national media outlet, which resulted from any number of black-on-black crimes, and which occur with much greater regularity than these episodes with law enforcement.

So, in my mind, if black lives really only matter enough to protest when it's at the hands of law enforcement, and never when it results from black-on-black crime, then so much of what they do is little more than convenient aggrandizement (i.e. attention-whoring), and more about their desire to reenforce the false narrative of victimization, instead of really caring about the issue of "black lives" at all, and the number one cause of black murders.

It'd be like going to see a physician who claimed to be solely focused on helping you to live a longer, healthier life, but who spent all of her time warning and worrying over the dangers of skydiving, while ignoring the patient's heroin addiction and 75+ BMI.

I would not take that physician or their advice very seriously, and that's about exactly how I perceive BLM.

3. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'm speculating about the cause of the shooting, and I don't know what would be worse at this point. A potential connection between the shooters and BLM, or the idea that these guys were planning an attack for a while and took advantage of the opportunity.

Regardless, I don't put this on Obama. I think his words have little to do with the planning of marches.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think we just went in a circle. I don't understand the relationship between number of people killed by cops and numbers killed by crime. What is the acceptable ratio?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

There were marches all over the country last night that were peaceful and without incident, including here in DC. It was pretty big for being unplanned, and went down to the White House and then over to the capitol building. I don't think marches have anything to do with this domestic terrorism.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those cops last night in Dallas are [dadgum] heroes.

Will CNN and other networks face consequences for replaying a murder 50 times last night? I'm tired of this callous crap. I can understand it getting on air when it happens live, but there is no justification for replaying it over and over. That's a human being with a family.

7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I work just south of you in Fayettteville and 95% the people I talk to here are totally opposite from the folks you are dealing with. They are as sick of the constant race baiting as anyone else is. I realize Atlanta itself is a hub for angry young black people but I also know many, many younger blacks who shun that shit because they, like any other rational, sane person realize that the "Us against Them" mentality is a dead end game.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It also isn't as politically beneficial to discuss for some fairly prominent jackasses.

9. Tenacious D

I believe that every law enforcement agency in the country should adopt similar measures to what our own TBI has voluntarily and long applied as an absolute and unwavering policy in any situation involving their agents shooting anyone. I'm sure that I'll mess this up, and the lawyers can correct me, but essentially, they hold their own investigation as per usual, and reach their own conclusions as any law enforcement agency does. But then, once concluded, and regardless of any determination reached in their own investigation, they present their evidence and findings to a grand jury in the municipality where he shooting occurred, and require the members of the grand jury to either recommend criminal indictment of those involved, or to refuse prosecution.

They do this in every single agent-involved shooting, no matter how obviously justified it may or may not appear to be, and without any exception. Wouldn't this provide that additional layer of independent and autonomous oversight that many suggest - perhaps rightfully - is so desperately needed?

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Who's pinning it on Obama?

Edit: I see it now.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  11. Tenacious D

No, to be clear - I no more place President Obama to blame for this shooting than I would allow someone to place the Orlando attack at the feet of responsible gun-owners.

I'm saying some blame lies in those high-profile instances where he has wrongfully fanned the flames of belief that some systemically widespread and murderous racism must exist amongst law enforcement, and to which he seemed to blame for their occurrence, and ultimately in the absence of knowing the facts, beforehand. I think he has erred in fanning the flames which now burn so brightly, and are proving so costly - and not even because he was mistaken, but because framing it in such a way advanced a narrative that he personally preferred or which was politically expedient for him, or catered to his worldview.

12. Tenacious D

Well said.

Can you fathom watching your relative, friend or loved one be killed like that on national TV?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think he was fanning flames or was wrong. That we are right back here years later demonstrates that he wasn't wrong. This will never stop until the majority of Americans recognize that there is really a problem, that unilateral deadly force isn't acceptable.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

And be made into a spectacle, and then be the subject of moronic media questions to random strangers on the street who don't know shit?

15. Tenacious D

I get your point, but what reasonable person purports that last bit?

And what did his endless posturing and flooding Ferguson with federal agents in the wake of the Michael Brown incident - a completely justifiable shooting, arguable or not - do but incite people around a mistaken (false?) narrative?

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This I agree with. He has done nothing to quell racial tension. He has done more to exacerbate the issue than any president I recall, but it was predictable that this is who he would be. I don't think he has gone out of his way, but it's his nature. I do believe he has gone out of his way to be a racist POS with DoJ, but that's his home turf. He is a pretend attorney.

17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

If this turns out to be BLM backed/carried out, can we go ahead and put them on the hate group list?

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

One could argue his own logic (which I don't agree with, so I don't blame him) assigns him some blame in this. He has been quick to speak out on racial matters and at least once has done so without much knowledge of what went down. But he seems to be a huge proponent of how we talk about things influences how things turn out. This is one of the things where he's taken a stance.

19. Tenacious D

Pretty sure it's a hate crime to even suggest this.

If so, you're now a terrorist, are on the no-fly list and cannot own a firearm...but the good news is that your new status as a terrorist makes you eligible for about $1M in resettlement aid.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have avoided watching any footage. I have no need or desire to see it. And if they sit there and play it on a continuous loop, that is sad and sinister, all for the love of money.