2014 Ballot Initiatives

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The issue with republicans is that they're authoritative too, and won't stay out of personal issues. Plus they're just as bad financially as the Dems, just not driving the train off the cliff as fast but still the same direction

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well get ready for massive "voting irregularities" in 2016, 2020, etc.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Reagan's rhetoric was that way, but his policies were often very different.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The only difference between the two is that the Republicans pretend to care about the debt and deficit in their rhetoric all the while doing nothing to address it. Democrats don't even bother wasting their time pretending to care about it.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think it's naïve to assume that young people will continue to come out and vote when they've only done it for 2 elections in the past 100 years. very much doubt Hilary or whoever gets the same turnout.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Look at the policies of Bush on No Child Left Behind and Medicare. That screams limited government

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not sure reality matters more than rhetoric. But Reagan did cut non defense spending considerably. And he was very liberal socially even if he had to pretend otherwise publically.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bush was an absolute fraud. Clinton was more limited govt than bush.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Young people are going to either keep getting more engaged or completely turned off by the political machine. However neither party has a firm grip on that age.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when I was 20 I knew maybe a handful of people who gave any shit about politics. it's very much a think about yourself age. Obama was dynamic enough to get people out to vote, but he's a rare rare exception in that regard.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No they aren't, at all. They aren't decidedly liberal, either, but things like same sex marriage, marijuana legalization, etc. aren't just becoming popular because of hippies in San Francisco. As I said, conservatives and Republicans have a strong tendency to believe that they have more people under their umbrella than they actually do.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The challenges of the economy and our policies hurt the young the most. This is leading to more and more to be freelance workers and work for themselves. It seems as though they're really entrepreneur in nature.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

To be fair, Dems do this as well too.

14. Unimane

Actually, I think the opposite. I think many suffer from a condescending idea that they are surrounded by uneducated, right wing rednecks.

15. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

The gay marriage was overturned by appointed judges which overturned ballot initiatives passed by the general public several states including california. I would not say gay marriage was popular by the masses by any means.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm willing to bet 50 % of people either support gay marriage or don't care if gays marry. Is there a way we can check this?

17. Unimane

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Probably not and get an accurate answer.

But supporting and not caring are quiet different when it comes to showing up to the polls.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's conservative enough for the republicans to win. that's the point.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

absurd. I can't tell you how many liberals I know say they don't know any republicans. there's a lot of thinking everyone else thinks the way you do and all the idiots are in the flyover states.